The earliest certain reference to cricket in Yorkshire dates from 1751 when local matches were held in Sheffield and a game took place on or soon after Monday, 5 August at Stanwick, near Richmond, between the Duke of Cleveland's XI and Earl of Northumberland's XI; the same teams having earlier played a game at Durham. Sheffield Cricket Club was probably formed about this time and there are references to Sheffield matches in Derbyshire in 1757 and at Leeds in 1761. A club was formed in York in 1784. But cricket in most rural areas was slow to develop. Yorkshire cricket became centred around Sheffield, where it was more organised than in the rest of the county. From 1771, Sheffield played semi-regular matches against Nottingham Cricket Club. Nottingham was generally the better side and Sheffield sometimes played with more players to give them a greater chance of victory. Nevertheless, the Sheffield player Tom Marsden was regarded as one of the leading players in the country in the 1820s. Cricket increased in popularity after a trial match was played at the purpose-built Darnall New Ground in Sheffield to evaluate the new style of roundarm bowling. After this match, many new cricket clubs were formed in the county.
In 1833, "Yorkshire" was first used as a team name, although it contained 11 Sheffield players, for a game against Norfolk at the Hyde Park Ground in Sheffield. The name may have arisen from a need to match the status of Norfolk as a county rather than a city. There were some differences in the organisation of the Yorkshire team vis-à-vis those called Sheffield as it included three amateurs while Sheffield teams were entirely professional. Yorkshire, as such, played intermittently over the next thirty years but was not organised in any formal way. Some of their opponents were Sussex in 1835; Manchester in 1844 and 1845; and Kent in 1849. Also in 1849, Yorkshire played against a "Lancashire" team for the first time, though it was really a Sheffield v Manchester match. By 1855, Sheffield and Yorkshire were playing at Bramall Lane. On 7 March 1861, during a meeting at the Adelphi Hotel in Sheffield, a Match Fund Committee was established to run Yorkshire county matches. The committee was made up from the management committee of the Bramall Lane ground and representatives from clubs willing to pay £1 to the fund. But the committee was unable to persuade other clubs that it was not seeking to promote Sheffield cricket and a lack of funds prevented some matches being played in 1862.
By this time, there were several cricketers with good reputations and the county team was one of the strongest in England. Consequently, on 8 January 1863, Yorkshire County Cricket Club was formed. Membership was unlimited and cost a minimum of 10s and 6d. Like most first-class cricket clubs of the time, Yorkshire relied on private patronage with administrators "paying to serve" and "moneyed enthusiasts" acting as ready match sponsors. The majority of players were freelance professionals who were paid a usual match fee of £5, from which all travel and accommodation had to be paid. Travel could be arduous, living away from home could be "rough" and sometimes the match fee was not enough to cover expenses, especially if, as was often a problem with early Yorkshire cricketers, "the ale-house was a temptation". The objective of the Club was to play matches "either in Sheffield or in any other towns of the county according as arrangements may be made." However, other locations in Yorkshire were unable or unwilling to host fixtures in the first years of the club, and Bradford and York continued to attempt to organise games in competition with Yorkshire, sometimes causing confusion among other counties. Attempts to form an alternative Yorkshire team continued intermittently until 1884, although by 1873, most clubs accepted the authority of the Sheffield-based county club.
In 1865, the Club and players became involved in a dispute. Five players – Roger Iddison, George Anderson, George Atkinson, Joseph Rowbotham and Ned Stephenson – refused to play against Surrey. This concerned a controversy that arose in 1862 when Iddison and Anderson played for an All-England team against Surrey at The Oval and the Kent bowler Edgar Willsher was repeatedly no-balled for using an overarm action by an umpire whom, they claimed, had been appointed by Surrey specifically for that purpose. Anderson stated in 1865 that he "would not play against those who have combined to sweep us from the cricket field altogether if they could". The dispute was about a point of principle and centred on the right of bowlers to use an overarm action, which had been legalised ahead of the 1864 season. Consequently, with several important players missing, Yorkshire did not win a game in 1865 and were forced to cancel some matches for the 1866 season. The Yorkshire Committee and the players came to an understanding in early 1867 after the players apologised, but Anderson never represented the county again.
An influx of what proved to be effective new players saw Yorkshire finish second to Lancashire in the unofficial Championship for 1881, but more significant was the debut for the county of Lord Hawke, then aged 21. The team faded again in 1882 and Hawke, who had refused the captaincy earlier, was appointed Club Captain at the end of the season, the first amateur to hold this position. Hawke remained in charge for 28 seasons until 1910, during which time the team won eight County Championships. In an obituary tribute, the editor of Wisden Cricketers' Almanack said that Lord Hawke's "strength of character was tested" when, as a young man on leaving Cambridge University, he undertook the responsibility of captaining the Yorkshire side, composed at that time of "elements that were not entirely harmonious". Owing to Hawke's "tact, judgment and integrity", he moulded the Eleven into "the best and probably the most united county cricket team in England". Yorkshire to 1883 was widely seen as an idiosyncratic team and, though Hawke's primary task as captain was to lead the team to fulfilment of its potential, his biggest challenge was to unite the club's geographical and social factions. At the end of the 1882 season, in addition to appointing Hawke as captain, the committee agreed to reorganise itself for the first time since the club's foundation and began a process which eventually made the club representative of the whole county and not just Sheffield.
Between 1900 and 1902, Yorkshire lost only twice in the County Championship, both times to Somerset, and won the County Championship in all three seasons largely thanks to their two outstanding all-rounders Hirst and Rhodes. When Joseph Wolstinholm retired as club secretary after the 1902 season, he was succeeded by Frederick Toone who held the post until his death in June 1930 and formed a successful liaison with Hawke. Toone and Hawke worked together to improve the terms and conditions of professional players' contracts. To 1914, they were paid £5 for a home match and £6 for an away match with a £1 win bonus. Players who had received their county cap were obliged to join the Cricketers' Friendly Society and were paid a winter wage of £2 a week.
Headingley Stadium is a sporting complex in the suburb of Headingley in Leeds, West Yorkshire. It is the home of Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Leeds Rhinos rugby league team and Yorkshire Carnegie rugby union team. There are two separate grounds: Headingley Carnegie Cricket Stadium and Headingley Carnegie Rugby Stadium with a two-sided stand housing common facilities. Initially owned by the Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletic Company, the ground is now managed jointly by Yorkshire C.C.C. and Leeds Rugby. The cricket ground sits to the Northern side of the complex. It opened in 1891 and has been used for test matches since 1899. It is the main home ground of Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Yorkshire Vikings Twenty20 cricket team. The ground last held The Ashes in 2009. Since 2015 the cricket ground has been floodlit. The ground has a seated capacity of 17,500, executive facilities and a new media centre opened in 2010. All but the stand at the football ground end have been rebuilt since 2000, it is proposed to replace this stand in conjunction with redeveloping its other side facing the rugby ground.
Headingley Cricket Ground has been home to The Yorkshire County Cricket Club since 1890 and a venue for Test Matches since 1899. From the staging of the first England versus Australia Test Match in 1890 to last summer’s first ever Test Match at the venue between England and Sri Lanka, Headingley has hosted 73 Tests. No dogs other than guide dogs will be permitted into the ground. Customers with guide dogs will be asked to sit in a designated area of the stadium for County matches. For international and T20 matches any such customers must also be accompanied by a sighted carer. Visually impaired customers, and those using wheelchairs, should ideally be accompanied by a carer capable of assisting the disabled person in the event of an emergency. The Stadium Management strongly recommends that the carer should be at least 18 years of age.
Disabled customers are required to pay the normal admission charge applying to the event they wish to attend. Should, on account of the severity of their disability, the disabled customer require the assistance of a carer the carer will be admitted free of charge. Concessionary admission charges that apply for the scheduled event will be available to disabled Junior and disabled Senior Citizen customers. All facilities are subject to availability. The ratio of carers to wheelchair customers fluctuates. Many wheelchair customers are not accompanied by carers therefore the capacity for wheelchairs increases. The Club reserves the right to request proof of disability prior to making disabled facilities available to a member of the public. All Club and international matches are broadcast on BBC local radio.
Location : Headingley Cricket Ground, Leeds, LS6 3DP
Transport: Leeds City (National Rail) then bus OR Headingley (Harrogate Line) 10 minutes. Bus Routes: 19, 19A, 38, 56 and 91 stop outside.
Capacity : 20,000
Opening Times: Daily 09:00 to 17:00
Tickets County/One Day : Adults £16.00; Senior £10.00;  Junior £5.00
Tickets T20 Blast : Adults £18.00; Senior £10.00;  Junior £5.00
Tickets Test Match : Adults £35.00; Senior £49.00;  Junior £10.00
Tickets International ODI: Adults £60.00; Senior £60.00;  Junior £20.00
Tel: 0843 504 3099
North Marine Road Ground, formerly known as Queen's, is a cricket ground in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Cricket was first staged at the ground in 1863, when tenancy of Jackson's field on North Marine Road was obtained, matches having been played at Castle Hill in Scarborough since 1849. Yorkshire has played there since 1878, when MCC beat Yorkshire by 7 wickets. The first County Championship game was held there in 1896, when Yorkshire beat Leicestershire by 162 runs. With the demise of the other 'out' grounds, Scarborough is the only regular venue for county cricket in Yorkshire other than Headingley Stadium, Leeds. The end-of-season Scarborough Festival, staged to capitalise on the large numbers of Yorkshire tourists in the seaside resort, saw touring teams, county teams and Yorkshire play in a mixture of friendly, championship and one-day cricket. The Fenner Trophy, a one-day competition featuring four counties, ran from 1971 to 1996 under the names of various sponsors. The centenary of the festival was celebrated in 1986, with Sir Len Hutton as president.
The ground is known to have a fast-scoring outfield and a pitch which is often receptive to spin. The ground hosts Senior Premier League matches while ECB representative games, under-19 and Women's Test matches have also been held there in recent years. The Scarborough ground is wheelchair accessible. Visually impaired spectators at County matches can listen to the match day commentary supplied by the BBC local radio. There is disabled (blue badge) parking available and fully accessible toilets reserved for disabled use.
Location : Scarborough Cricket Ground, North Marine Road , Scarborough, North Yorkshire YO12 7TJ
Transport: Scarborough (National Rail) 10 minutes. Bus Routes: 3, 3A and 843 stop near the ground.
Capacity : 11,500
Opening Times: Daily 09:00 to 17:00
Tickets : Adults £16.00; Senior £10.00;  Junior £5.00
Tel: 01723 365625