Gosford House is the family seat of the Charteris family and is situated near Longniddry in East Lothian, Scotland. It was recently the home of the late Rt. Hon. David Charteris, 12th Earl of Wemyss and 8th Earl of March, chief of the name and arms of Charteris. Gosford was built by the 7th Earl of Wemyss between 1790 and 1800. It was built to plans by the architect Robert Adam (1728–1792), who died before the house was completed. The 7th Earl is buried in the Wemyss Mausoleum on the estate, the only member of the family to be buried within the mausoleum. The 8th Earl inherited Gosford House and knocked down the wings, and his grandson, the 10th Earl, rebuilt them in 1891 to designs by the architect William Young. The south wing contains the marble hall. Gosford is built in the neoclassical style.
During World War II, the British Army occupied the house, during which time part of the centre block was damaged by fire. Subsequent dry rot led to the roof being partly removed. It was re-roofed in 1987, and restoration of the central block is an ongoing process, which has been progressed in the last ten years by Shelagh, Countess of Wemyss and March. The ponds in the policies were recently restored by James Charteris, 13th Earl of Wemyss who took over the family estate and title in December 2008 when his father died. Gosford can be seen from Edinburgh on a clear day. It is open to the public in the summer. The grounds contain an unusual and rare example of a Scottish curling house (for storing curling stones). The interior and exterior of Gosford House were used in the 2000 film House of Mirth, directed by Terence Davies and based on the novel by Edith Wharton.
Inside, the building exceeds the expectations raised by its elegant exterior. The Marble Hall, in the south wing, is arguably the most arresting of its many fine features. It was completed in 1891 by William Young for the tenth Earl of Wemyss and rises to a height of three storeys, with a magnificent double staircase leading to a surrounding picture gallery. The elaborate fireplace, alabaster colonnades and ornate plasterwork reflect the strong Italianate taste of the tenth Earl, while the Palladian screen of Venetian windows are reminiscent of Adam's original designs. Visits are by tour only. There is no requirement to book in advance unless groups are of 8 or more. Please Note: The house has very limited disabled access and part of the tour requires climbing stairs. Assistance dogs are welcome.
Location : Gosford House, Longniddry, East Lothian EH32 0PY
Transport: Longniddry (ScotRail) then bus (111, 124, 125, X24). Bus Routes : 111, 124, 125 and X24 stop near by
Opening Times : Please contact for open days
Tickets : Tours £6 per person
Tel : 01875 870201