Dover Transport Museum is set in nearly two acres of attractive grounds, with ample free car and coach parking. The museum's two large galleries include over fifty historic road vehicles, many set in period street scenes, with shops and displays showing off the many exhibits and artefacts, and a vintage garage. Many are unusual or unique, like our beautifully restored Romany Caravan and our Aveling & Porter steam roller! Working model railways, hundreds of models, maritime history displays, and many other displays which go beyond just transport, make an enjoyable visit for everyone.
The historic vehicles include, amongst many other fine examples : 1937 Austin 7 "Opal" ; Rover 72 - Dover Mayoral Car 2000/13 ; Morris Minor Saloon - Police Panda Car; Delage D6 Grand Touring Car; Rover 100 Mark 4 Saloon; Workman's Living Van; Pierce Arrow R7 5-ton Truck; 1949 Series 1 Land Rover; 1924 Aveling & Porter Steam Roller; AEC Reliance Coach - Duple Britannia Body; Two Piece Romany Wagon - circa 1930 and a 1929 Dennis GL "Toastrack" Charabanc.
Norman Cycles was a British bicycle, autocycle, moped, and motorcycle manufacturer based in Ashford, Kent, England. The Company was originally founded shortly after World War I as the Kent Plating & Enamelling Co by brothers Charles and Fred Norman making frames in a garden shed off Jemmett Road, Ashford. In the 1920s they moved to larger premises in Victoria Road, Ashford and progressed from frame making and finishing to producing cycles. In 1935 they had a new factory built in Beaver Road, Ashford and the company was renamed Norman Cycles Limited. In 1938 they produced an autocycle (a heavier duty bicycle with a small engine - what would later be more commonly known as a moped). In addition to cycles the company went on to produce mopeds and light motorbikes (with motors supplied by engine manufacturers including Villiers, British Anzani and latterly for their Norman Nippy moped, Sachs engines were used). During their time they produced many thousands of cycles and motorbikes - weekly production was said to peak at 5,000 bikes, 600 mopeds and 120 motorbikes. In addition to supplying the UK market they exported to many Commonwealth countries using the Rambler trademark. The company enjoyed sporting success with its products. By 1950 Norman Cycles had been acquired by Tube Investments, who would ultimately prefer the Raleigh brand name for cycles. The Ashford factory closed in 1961. Although products bearing the 'Norman' name continued to be made (Nottingham for cycles and Smethwick for mopeds and motor bikes), the hey-day of the brand had passed and the name ceased to be seen in sales literature after 1963. Dover Transport Museum has the largest national motorcycle collection.
The museum is fully accessible to wheelchair users. Staff assisted access from disabled parking area available upon request . There is a disabled toilet facility. Free for cars and coaches. The Tram Stop Café is renowned for delicious cakes the café offers bacon baps, soups, sandwiches or filled rolls plus a selection of coffees, teas, hot chocolate and cold drinks, chocolate bars and seasonal specialities. Assistance dogs are welcome. The exhibits may be touched. One carer is admitted free with each disabled person .
Location : Dover Transport Museum, Willingdon Rd, Whitfield, Dover CT16 2HQ
Transport : Kearsney (National Rail) then bus (60, 15B). Bus Routes : 60 and Diamond 15B stop near by
Opening Times : 8th January - 11th March, Sunday 10:30 to 15.00; Wednesday, weekends and Bank Holidays, 12th March to 31st October 10:30 to 17:00
Tickets : Adults £7.00; Concessions £6.00; Children (5 - 16) £4.00
Tel. : 01304 822409