At Rhyl Museum you can stroll down an imaginary Edwardian pier, peek into kiosks and discover more about the personalities who shaped Rhyl and the surrounding area – from Roman bathers to early cinema pioneers. The origin of the name "Rhyl" is not fully known. However, the name appears in old documents variously as Hulle (1292), Hul (1296), Ryhull (1301), Hyll (1506), Hull (1508), [Leidiart] yr Hyll (1597), Rhil (1706), Rhûl (1749), Rhul (1773) Rhyll (1830), and Rhyl (1840). The name seems to be a hybrid between the English word "hill" and the Welsh definite article "y". The exact significance of the name is unclear as there are no hills in the vicinity. It is possibly a reference to a mound or slightly raised place in an otherwise marshy region. Some documents refer to a dwelling house, Tŷ'n yr haul, meaning "House in the sun".
The Rhyl Miniature Railway (Welsh: Rheilffordd Fach y Rhyl) is a 15 in (381 mm) gauge miniature railway line located in Rhyl on the North Wales Coast. The line runs in a circle around a boating lake near the promenade, to the west of the town centre. The railway is operated by Rhyl Steam Preservation Trust, a Registered charity. The railway has a long association with one type of locomotive, a class of six one-third scale 4-4-2 tender engines built by Albert Barnes & Co of Rhyl. The Rolling stock on the RMR (Rhyl Miniature Railway) includes eight "Cars De luxe", two small carriages, two Cagney carriages, and various other non passenger stock. Clara is a Steam outline Diesel built by Guest & Saunders Light Engineering for services on the Dudley zoo railway and brought to Rhyl in 1978. Now rebuilt with hydraulic transmission which was finished in winter 2011
Work on the railway began in December 1910 when it was surveyed by Henry Greenly, to whom permission was given to start work in March 1911, and the railway opened to the public on 1 May 1911. The railway proved to be a great success in its first year. The railway was originally operated using a single Bassett-Lowke Class 10 Atlantic and 6 Bassett-Lowke carriages. In 1913 it was decided to buy a second Class 10 and the "cars de luxe" were built in the companies' workshop. In 1920 the decision was taken to replace the two Class 10 with something more powerful due to them being stretched to their limits during peak season. The resulting engine was the "Barnes Atlantic". Six were built in Rhyl, 4 for the RMR and 2 for elsewhere. It all came to an end in 1969. Rhyl Amusements was by then a subsidiary of Trust House Forte Leisure Ltd, whereas the Marine Lake itself belongs to the Borough Council. Trust House would not invest further in the Marine Lake site without a very long lease being granted, which the Council refused. As a result, Trust House decided to concentrate all its resources at Ocean Beach, and handed back the Marine Lake to the Council in 1970, completely bare. The trackbed then lay bare until 1978 when it was relaid. The railway then started running trains on 1 July 1978. The new Central station building was opened in May 2007.
The facilities of 'Central Station' are all on one level, and can be accessed from any of three entrance points which are open when trains are running. Most visitors head for the train itself, and then enter the building along the platform. There is a charge to ride on the train, but access to the station, museum and toilets is free. The building is fitted with induction loops, and there is also an amplifier at the ticket office counter to assist customers who might be hard of hearing. The ticket office counter is at waist height. The ticket office staff will normally be the main point of customer contact, and will do all they can to assist visitors with particular needs. The main platform is 3 metres deep and is the main circulation area of 'Central Station'. Seating is available for those who just want to watch the trains. Dogs are welcome, in the building and on the trains. Water bowls can be provided upon request, if they are not already in place. The edge of the platform is signified by tactile paving. The door into the WC area has a tactile and braille sign. At the back of the platform and inside the museum are display panels with very large text size.
A door from the platform leads to the communal washroom area. Along the right hand side is a long trough with press taps for washing hands. Beyond that is an accessible WC equipped to all the latest standards, including an alarm pull cord (it reports to the wash area and to the ticket office). In this WC there is also a baby changing unit. From the communal wash area doors lead to two female WCs, and also to a separate gents section. In here there is a urinal and a WC, and also a small sink for washing hands. The doors in the wash area all have tactile and braille signs. They operate various different trains which each have their own characteristics. Most of volunteers are pretty friendly, and will help out to reduce difficulties of access to the train whenever they can. If your visit is on a peak day it is likely that a set of 'Milnes' rolling stock will be running. These vehicles have seats all facing the direction of travel, and without any step from platform level. At the back of each of these trains will be a coach which they adapted for passengers in wheelchairs. This has a fold-down ramp to the platform, and along the vehicle floor is a locking system which can be used to secure a wheelchair from being able to move whilst the train is in motion. If you intend to use this facility, please seek assistance from the train guard, who will be pleased to help. Sometimes they operate a Cagney locomotive with a train of two small passenger coaches. A step down from the platform is required to these vehicles. They can, subject to a short delay, attach one of the wheelchair coaches to the back of this train should it be required.
Location : Rhyl museum, Church Street, Rhyl LL18 3AA
Location : Central Station, Marine Lake, Wellington Road, Rhyl LL18 1AQ
Transport Rhyl Museum: Rhyl (National Rail) then bus or 10 minutes. Bus Routes : 11, PS1 and National Express stop close by
Transport Minature Rail: Rhyl (National Rail) then bus. Bus Routes : 1, 45, 46 and Sapphire12 stop near by
Opening Times Rhyl Museum: Monday to Saturday 09:30 to 17:00; Wednesday open 11:30; Monday Close 19:00; Saturday Close 12:30
Opening Times Motor Museum: Click here for timetable
Tickets Motor Museum: Adults £2.50; Children (2 - 14) £1.50; Dogs Free
Tickets Rhyl Museum: Free
Tel Railway Museum: 01352 759109
Tel. Rhyl Museum : 01745 353 814