The Globe was owned by actors who were also shareholders in the Lord Chamberlain's Men. Two of the six Globe shareholders, Richard Burbage and his brother Cuthbert Burbage, owned double shares of the whole, or 25% each; the other four men, Shakespeare, John Heminges, Augustine Phillips, and Thomas Pope, owned a single share, or 12.5%. (Originally William Kempe was intended to be the seventh partner, but he sold out his share to the four minority sharers, leaving them with more than the originally planned 10%). These initial proportions changed over time as new sharers were added. Shakespeare's share diminished from 1/8 to 1/14, or roughly 7%, over the course of his career. The Globe was built in 1599 using timber from an earlier theatre, The Theatre, which had been built by Richard Burbage's father, James Burbage, in Shoreditch in 1576. The Burbages originally had a 21-year lease of the site on which The Theatre was built but owned the building outright. However, the landlord, Giles Allen, claimed that the building had become his with the expiry of the lease. On 28 December 1598, while Allen was celebrating Christmas at his country home, carpenter Peter Street, supported by the players and their friends, dismantled The Theatre beam by beam and transported it to Street's waterfront warehouse near Bridewell. With the onset of more favourable weather in the following spring, the material was ferried over the Thames to reconstruct it as The Globe on some marshy gardens to the south of Maiden Lane, Southwark. While only a hundred yards from the congested shore of the Thames, the piece of land was situated close by an area of farmland and open fields. It was poorly drained and, notwithstanding its distance from the river, was liable to flooding at times of particularly high tide; a "wharf" (bank) of raised earth with timber revetments had to be created to carry the building above the flood level. The new theatre was larger than the building it replaced, with the older timbers being reused as part of the new structure; the Globe was not merely the old Theatre newly set up at Bankside. It was probably completed by the summer of 1599, possibly in time for the opening production of Henry V and its famous reference to the performance crammed within a "wooden O". On 29 June 1613 the Globe Theatre went up in flames during a performance of Henry VIII. A theatrical cannon, set off during the performance, misfired, igniting the wooden beams and thatching. According to one of the few surviving documents of the event, no one was hurt except a man whose burning breeches were put out with a bottle of ale. No-one was severely injured in the event. It was rebuilt in the following year. Like all the other theatres in London, the Globe was closed down by the Puritans in 1642. It was pulled down in 1644-45; the commonly cited document dating the act to 15 April 1644 has been identified as a probable forgery—to make room for tenements
In 1970, American actor and director Sam Wanamaker founded the Shakespeare Globe Trust and the International Shakespeare Globe Centre, with the objective of building a faithful recreation of Shakespeare's Globe close to its original location at Bankside, Southwark. This inspired the founding of a number of Shakespeare's Globe Centres around the world, an activity in which Wanamaker also participated. Many detractors maintained that a faithful Globe reconstruction was impossible to achieve due to the complications in the 16th century design and modern fire safety requirements; however, Wanamaker persevered in his vision for over twenty years, and a new Globe theatre was eventually built according to a design based on the research of historical adviser John Orrell. It was Wanamaker's wish that the new building recreate the Globe as it existed during most of Shakespeare's time there; that is, the 1599 building rather than its 1614 replacement. A study was made of what was known of the construction of The Theatre, the building from which the 1599 Globe obtained much of its timber, as a starting point for the modern building's design. To this were added: examinations of other surviving London buildings from the latter part of the 16th century; comparisons with other theatres of the period (particularly the Fortune Playhouse, for which the building contract survives); and contemporary drawings and descriptions of the first Globe. For practical reasons, some features of the 1614 rebuilding were incorporated into the modern design, such as the external staircases. The design team consisted of architect Theo Crosby of Pentagram, structural and services engineer Buro Happold, and quantity surveyors from Boyden & Co. The construction, building research and historic design details were undertaken by McCurdy & Co. The theatre opened in 1997 under the name "Shakespeare's Globe Theatre", and has staged plays every summer. Mark Rylance became the first artistic director in 1995 and was succeeded by Dominic Dromgoole in 2006. In January 2016, Emma Rice began her term as the Globe's third Artistic Director
The Globe Theatre is entered and exited through large, heavy wooden doors, staffed at all times. There is provision for one wheelchair user in the yard, and three (with one companion each) in ‘Gentleman’s Box P’. The Gentleman’s Box is accessible by lift, and patrons are accompanied by the Duty House Manager. A hearing induction loop is available at all performances; please switch hearing aids to the ‘T’ or 3 position. We do not provide hearing aids. Please note that the Globe Theatre is an openair building and the loop will amplify all sounds. The hearing loop works best when seated in the Lower Gallery. Audio-described performances are provided by VocalEyes. For the dates and times of these performances, please telephone the Access Information Line on 020 7902 1409. During performances dogs can be looked after by staff, but you must inform the Box Office when booking if this will be necessary. Please contact the Duty House Manager upon arrival. Note that performances can involve loud noises. Patrons with access requirements are eligible for discounts, but are required to join the free Access Scheme, which has been designed to help them to better understand your needs. Concessions are not available online. Please call the Access Information Line on 020 7902 1409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Audio description of the Globe. Audio description of the gates.
Location : 21 New Globe Walk, Bankside, London SE1 9DT
Transport: Mansion House (District Line, Circle Line) - via Millenium Bridge. Bankside Pier (Thames Clippers) is 10m. from the Globe. London Buses routes 45, 63, 100 to Blackfriars Bridge; 15, 17 to Cannon Street; 11, 15, 17, 23, 26, 76 to Mansion House; 381 , RV1 to Southwark Street; 344 to Southwark Bridge Road.
Opening Times: Daily 09:00 to 17.30
Tours: Daily 09:30 to 17.00
Check availability during performance season.
Tickets : Adult £15.00. Children £9.00 Senior £13.50
Students £12.50. Children under 5 Free.
Tel: 020 7902 1500