The hamlet was recorded as "Keninton" in 1232. The name derives from the personal name of the Saxon "Coena" and the Old English "tun", a farm - and means "the farm of Coena" and his family who once lived on a site near here. The station was one of several built on the London and North Western Railway's "New Line" from Camden to Watford Junction which enabled local services from Watford Junction station to reach Euston station and Broad Street station in London. The New Line was mostly alongside the United Kingdom's first main line railway (possibly) which had been previously opened by the London and Birmingham Railway in 1837. Kenton station was opened on 15 June 1912. It has only ever had platforms on the New Line; parallel main line services call at Harrow and Wealdstone station, one stop to the north, with some also calling at Wembley Central station, three stops to the south. Bakerloo line services began on 16 April 1917.
On 24 September 1982, Bakerloo line services to Kenton ended when services north of Stonebridge Park were ended. The closure was short-lived, and the Bakerloo line service was reinstated on 4 June 1984. The station's former coal yard on the east side of the railway, no longer needed for the trains, is now occupied by a Sainsbury's supermarket. TfL's Getting Around map showing disabled access (dated April 2011) does not indicate that level access is available at this station. The nearest stations shown with step-free access are Harrow and Wealdstone, Kingsbury and Wembley Park; some journeys might be more conveniently made by using one of the local buses to Golders Green Station (via route 183) or Pinner Station (via route 183) and continuing from there. The station has help points and a bridge.
Connections: London Overground. London Buses routes 114, 183, 223, H9, H10 and H18 and H19 serve the station.