The station was opened on 10 March 1906 by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR); In the original parliamentary authority for the construction of the BS&WR no station was allowed at Regent's Park. Permission was granted to add it to the already partially constructed line in 1904. In the Middle Ages the land was part of the manor of Tyburn, the property of Barking Abbey. In the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII appropriated the land, and it has been Crown property ever since, except for the period between 1649 and 1660. It was set aside as a hunting park, known as Marylebone Park, until 1649. It was then let out in small holdings for hay and dairy produce. Regent's Park was first opened to the general public in 1835, initially for two days a week. The 1831 diary of William Copeland Astbury describes in detail his daily walks in and around the park, with references to the Zoo, the canal, and surrounding streets, as well as features of daily life in the area.
Unlike most of the BS&WR's other stations, Regent's Park has no surface buildings and is accessed from a subway with gree glazed tiles. The station is served by lifts, and between 10 July 2006 and 14 June 2007 it was closed to allow essential refurbishment work on these and other parts of the station. There is also a staircase which can be used which has 96 steps. Nearby points of interest are Regent's Park itself, the Royal Academy of Music, the Royal College of Physicians, Holy Trinity Church, Portland Place and Harley Street. Great Portland Street station is within walking distance to the east for interchanges to the Circle and Metropolitan lines. The station has wi-fi and lifts.
Connections: London Buses routes 18, 27, 30, 88, 205, 453 and C2 and night route N18 serve the station.