From 1874 to 1875 the Metropolitan Railway used the Liverpool Street mainline station as a terminus; on 12 July 1875 the company opened their own station, initially called Bishopsgate. Subsurface platforms 1 and 2 were opened in 1875 The station was renamed Liverpool Street in 1909. In 1912 Liverpool Street became the new terminus of the Central London Railway after the completion of an extension project from Bank. The deep-level Central line platforms 4 and 5 opened on 28 July 1912 as the eastern terminus of the Central London Railway. On 4 December 1946 the passenger line was extended eastwards as part of the war-delayed London Passenger Transport Board's New Works Programme.
From 2018, Liverpool Street will be served by underground Crossrail services westwards towards London Heathrow Airport and Reading via central London. Abbey Wood and Shenfield will be served by overground Crossrail trains to the east. A new ticket hall with step-free access will be built next to the Broadgate development, with a pedestrian link via the new platforms to the ticket hall of Moorgate, providing direct access to London Underground's Northern line and the Northern City Line. The station has cash machines, Euro cash machines, escalators, payphones, a waiting room, bridge, lifts, help points and wi-fi.
Connections: National Rail, Central, Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines connect here. London Buses routes 8; 11; 23; 26; 35; 47; 48; 78; 133; 135; 141; 205; 242; 344; 388; and night routes N8; N11; N26; N133 and N205; serve the station.