Goodmayes was opened on 18 February 1901 by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) on the Great Eastern Main Line from London Liverpool Street. The station once had an extensive shunting yard for goods traffic, but this fell into disuse following the Beeching cuts to the railway system in 1963, and was eventually dismantled. The site of the yard stood on the area between the present track and the High Road and has been replaced by a supermarket, other shops and housing. There was also a large yard area between the existing track area and Kinfauns Road. This yard area went as far as Chadwell Heath. Goodmayes was largely undeveloped until the end of the 19th century, when large scale suburban development took place as London expanded. However, Goodmayes does appear on maps as early as the 1770s. Barley Lane is believed to be named after Dorothy Barley, last Abbess of nearby Barking Abbey (elected 1527). Most of the area here and in neighbouring Seven Kings was only built up between 1898 and 1910 by the developer A. C. Corbett who used new stations on the Great Eastern Railway to promote the new suburbs.
In 2017 new Class 345 trains will enter service as Crossrail partially opens. The route will be extended through central London to London Heathrow Airport and Reading in 2019. The four platforms at Goodmayes will be extended from their current length of 184 metres (201 yd) to accommodate the Crossrail trains which will be over 200 metres (220 yd) long. New lifts, signage, help points, customer information screens and CCTV will be installed in preparation for the opening of Crossrail. It is in Travelcard Zone 4. TfL Rail trains stop on platform 3 and Westbound (Shenfield) stop on platform 4. The station has wi-fi, help points and waiting room, but no toilets.
Connections: London Buses routes 364 and 387 serve the station.