The station was opened in 1932 when the electrified District line was extended to Upminster from Barking. The station was constructed and initially operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway with services provided by the District line from the outset. It is near the Barking Hospital, built in 1893 to house fever patients at a time when malaria (the 'ague' or 'English sweating sickness') was indigenous to the East country. At the time this was a very rural area.
The station buildings are of typical 1930s design and the platforms are arranged on a central island with a sloping walkway connection to the ticket hall. The station design is very similar to Dagenham Heathway and Elm Park. The station is in London fare zone 4. The station has boarding ramps and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses route 62 serves the station.