Wimbledon  Platform

Wimbledon Platform

Wimbledon  Entrance

Wimbledon Entrance

Wimbledon  Platform

Wimbledon Platform

 

The first railway station in Wimbledon was opened on 21 May 1838, when the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) opened its line from its terminus at Nine Elms in Battersea to Woking. The original station was to the south of the current station on the opposite side of the Wimbledon Bridge. On 22 October 1855, the Wimbledon and Croydon Railway (W&CR) opened the West Croydon to Wimbledon Line to West Croydon via Mitcham and on 1 October 1868 the Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway (TM&WR) opened a line to Tooting Junction (now just Tooting station). On 3 June 1889, the District Railway (DR, now London Underground's District line) opened the extension of its line from Putney Bridge,[5] making Wimbledon station the new terminus of that branch and providing Wimbledon with a direct connection to the developing London Underground system. The station was rebuilt on its current site for the opening of this service. District line steam-hauled services were replaced by electric services from 27 August 1905. Mainline suburban services were gradually replaced by electric rolling stock either side of World War I although long distance journeys continued to use steam-haulage until much later. The station was rebuilt again with its current Portland stone entrance building by the Southern Railway (SR, the post grouping successor to the L&SWR) in the late 1920s as part of the SR's construction of the line to Sutton.

 

Wimbledon Station was also the haunt of a 'Railway Collection Dog'. Airedale Terrier "Laddie" was born in September 1948 and started work on Wimbledon Station in 1949, collecting donations on behalf of the Southern Railwaymen's Homes at Woking, via a box strapped to his back. He retired in 1956 having collected over £5,000 and spent the rest of his days with the residents at the Home. On his death in 1960 he was stuffed and returned to Wimbledon Station. He continued to collect for the Homes, in a glass case situated on Platform 5, until 1990 when he retired once more and became part of the National Railway Collection.

 

Wimbledon station presents an unusual procedure with the Oyster card pay as you go electronic ticketing system. Ordinarily, London Underground passengers with Oyster cards must "touch in" at the start of their journey and "touch out" at the end. Those who fail to "touch out" will be charged the maximum possible fare from their starting point. Tramlink passengers starting a journey at Wimbledon, after passing through the entry gates, will not be able to "touch out" at the end of their tram journey, since tram stops provide no facility to do so. Instead they must "touch in" a second time on the tram platform at Wimbledon, after passing through the ticket barrier. The system will then recognise that no tube journey has been made. A similar issue arises for passengers arriving at Wimbledon by tram. Normally tram users do not touch out, but at Wimbledon they must do so in order to leave the station. Touching out at the regular turnstile accomplishes this. If, however, a passenger touches their card at a standalone Oyster reader (such as the one by the manual gates), the system will see this as starting a new journey rather than ending one, and will deduct a maximum cash fare from the card.

 

The station has 10 platforms. Platforms 1-4 are for London Underground, Platforms 5 and 8 are for inner suburban services, Platform 9 is for Thameslink and Platform 10 for Tramlink. Platforms 6 and 7 are for express and outer suburban services, but most of these services only call at Wimbledon during the lawn tennis championships. The station has lifts, boarding ramps, wi-fi, toilets and a bridge.

 

Connections: National Rail. Tramlink. London Buses routes 57, 93, 131, 156, 163, 164, 200, 219 and 493 and night route N87 serve the station. During the annual Lawn Tennis Championships there is a dedicated bus service between Wimbledon Station and the LTA grounds in Church Road.