The Warren in Tower Place was established as an Ordnance Storage Depot in 1671 on a 31-acre (13 ha) site. The Board of Ordnance initially looked on the site as "a convenient place for building a storehouse for powder and other stores of war, and for room for the proof of guns". As at other Ordnance Yards the site was overseen by a Storekeeper, who was based in the old house (Tower Place). To begin with much of the Warren was preserved as open space with cannons stored in the open air and guns proved on ranges to the east. (Proof-testing was overseen at this time by the Master Gunner of England, who was also accommodated in Tower Place.) Gunpowder was stored in a converted dovecote initially; but before long specialist buildings began to appear. In 1886 workers at the Arsenal formed a football club initially known as Dial Square after the workshops in the heart of the complex, playing their first game on 11 December (a 6-0 victory over Eastern Wanderers) in the Isle of Dogs. Renamed Royal Arsenal two weeks later (and also known as the 'Woolwich Reds'), the club entered the professional football league as Woolwich Arsenal in 1893 and later became known as Arsenal F.C., having moved to north London in 1913.
The station opened in 1849, serving the North Kent Line from London to Gillingham. The station building was rebuilt in 1906 with a London brick-built structure, very typical of southeast London. The current station building dates from 1996, and has a modern design in steel and glass. It has a circular theme, quite different from what existed before. Woolwich Arsenal was expanded in 2009, when Transport for London completed the construction of an extension of the London City Airport branch of the Docklands Light Railway from King George V to Woolwich Arsenal, which is the branch's new terminus. The official opening took place on 12 January 2009. The Docklands Light Railway part of the station is underground, and consists of two platforms in an island platform configuration. As Woolwich Arsenal is a terminus, both platforms serve an up line to Bank or Stratford via London City Airport and Canning Town. Trains depart in the eastbound direction due to the curve under the River Thames.
Connections: National Rail. London Buses routes 51, 53, 54, 96, 99, 122, 161, 178, 244, 291, 380, 386, 422, 469 and 472 and night route N1 serve the station.