The station opened on 2 August 1880 as part of the ongoing extensions to the Metropolitan Railway (this time to Harrow), with the name Kingsbury and Neasden. The name was changed to Neasden and Kingsbury in 1910, and then changed again to its current name Neasden in 1932, the same year Kingsbury station opened. After the nationalisation of the Met in 1933, train services to Stanmore were transferred to the new eastern branch of the Bakerloo line in 1939 and Metropolitan line trains ceased to stop at the station the following year. In 1979, the main service was transferred to the Jubilee line. The station's surface building is located in Neasden Lane. It has been extensively modified over the years, losing its original roof and high chimneys in the late 20th century, and a segment of the front was rebuilt around 1993 to remove a newsagent previously placed there. As well as the ticket office there are three ticket collection barriers and a single luggage gate (these were installed in the late 1990s; prior to this there were no barriers and just a gate), and the station also has a shop. The stairs from the surface building lead to four platforms. Platforms 1 and 4 are on the Metropolitan line, served on a few days a year for local events and when necessary due to disruptions to normal services. Platforms 2 and 3 were the northbound and southbound platforms for the Bakerloo line and since 1979 are now used by the Jubilee line. The platforms are constructed to "transition height" to allow regular use by tube trains of the Jubilee line and occasional (early morning, late night and during work on the line) use by the larger Metropolitan Line trains.
Metropolitan line trains pass through the station but do not stop, except on rare occasions. The Chiltern Main Line/London to Aylesbury Line runs to the west of the station. Neasden is one of the few stations on the southern section of the former Metropolitan Mainline to still have its original platform buildings intact and its architecture is typical for a station serving a medium-sized village. Baker Street and Willesden Green are the other stations to have their platform buildings intact. The line between Finchley Road and Harrow-on-the-Hill was quadrupled between 1914 and 1916, and many intermediate stations had to be rebuilt to enable the fast lines to be built. Jubilee line trains sometimes terminate at Neasden. Neasden Temple and Wembley Stadium are nearby. The station has toilets, payphones, and a bridge.
Connections: London Buses route 297 serve the station.