The station was built for the extension to the Metropolitan Railway and opened as "Chorley Wood" on 8 July 1889. It was renamed "Chorley Wood & Chenies" on 1 November 1915. In 1934 it reverted to the original name, which changed to the present name during 1964. Chorleywood station was formerly served by steam hauled Metropolitan line trains from Aylesbury to London, with a changeover to an electric locomotive at Rickmansworth. The electrification north of Rickmansworth (to Amersham and Chesham) was completed in 1960, with steam trains being withdrawn in 1961. From the early 1960s to 2012, Metropolitan line trains at Chorleywood were formed of London Underground A60 Stock (and the almost identical A62 Stock), but were replaced by London Underground S8 stock. Chiltern Railways (Aylesbury-Marylebone) trains are formed by Class 165 diesel multiple units.
Settlement at Chorleywood dates to the Paleolithic era, when the plentiful flint supply led to swift development of tools by early man. The Romans built a small village on the ancient site, complete with a mill and brewery. The likely ruins of a Roman villa are thought to be found under the M25 motorway, which passes through the outskirts of Chorleywood. A large influx of Saxon settlers in Chorleywood led to it being an important town. The Saxons called it 'Cerola Leah', meaning a meadow in a clearing. By 1278, it was known as 'Bosco de Cherle' or 'Churl's Wood', Norman for 'Peasant's Wood'. Upon the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it passed to the Bishopric of London, being renamed 'Charleywoode'. It became Crown property during the reign of Elizabeth I. The Turnpike Act (1663) gave Chorleywood a chance to exploit its strategic position, allowing locals the opportunity to charge civilians to use the road from Hatfield to Reading. Chorleywood is most famous for its Quakers. Non-conformists flocked to Chorleywood, promised sanctuary by the locals. William Penn founded the Pennsylvania Colony with settlers from Chorleywood. Currently, the station has two platforms shared between the London Underground Metropolitan line and National Rail. Both platforms are accessible via street level. The station has toilets, a car park, payphones and a waiting room.
Connections: National Rail (Chiltern Railways). The station is served by the 336 (Carousel) and R2 (Red Eagle) bus routes.