The Metropolitan Railway was extended from Willesden Green to Harrow on 2 August 1880, but originally there were no stations between Neasden and Harrow. A station on the eastern side of the Preston Road bridge was opened on 21 May 1908, and was originally named Preston Road Halt for Uxendon and Kenton; it was later renamed Preston Road. During 1931–32, it was re-sited on the opposite side of the road bridge, and the work was carried out in two stages: the southbound platform was re-sited on 22 November 1931, and the northbound on 3 January 1932. It is next to Kenton. The hamlet was recorded as "Keninton" in 1232. The name derives from the personal name of the Saxon "Coena" and the Old English "tun", a farm - and means "the farm of Coena" and his family who once lived on a site near here. Before the 20th century, the tiny settlement was concentrated around in what was Kenton Lane.
A pleasant open-air station, the horticultural displays on the platform have won many awards over the years, but fell into disrepair for some years. With the current refurbishment of the station the floral decorations have since been revived, providing a cheerful touch of colour and a point of interest to entertain the traveller in the wait between trains. It is served by 'slow' (all stations) trains only (fast and semi-fast trains do not stop at stations between Wembley Park and Harrow-on-the-Hill). The station has toilets, payphones, and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses routes 114, 183, H9/H10, and H18/19 serve the station. Note: the H designated buses run clockwise and anti-clockwise so that the number changes according to direction.