Southbury Platform

Southbury Platform

Southbury Entrance

Southbury Entrance

Southbury Platform

Southbury Platform

 

The line from Bury Street Junction, north of Edmonton Green, to Cheshunt was opened by the Great Eastern Railway on 1 October 1891 when this station opened as Churchbury. The line was known as the Churchbury Loop. It had first been considered by the GER in the 1860s as part of the programme of suburban expansion. The opening of the Enfield Town branch had helped Enfield and Tottenham to grow so in its "Additional Powers Act" the GER applied for a branch to leave the Bethnal Green to Edmonton line (now the line via Seven Sisters).and join the main line near Enfield Lock. These proposals were abandoned in 1869 and it wasn't until 1882 that the powers were revived through another act of parliament this time linking at Cheshunt Railway Station. The reasoning was that the new line would open up housing development in the area but it was another seven years before construction started in 1889. Although construction costs were relatively low, the GER provided well built stations in anticipation of the business these stations were expected to generate. The line was 5 miles and 75 chains long with stations at Churchbury, Forty Hall and Theobalds Grove. Goods yards were provided at Churchbury and Forty Hill stations and there was also a siding serving a brick works close to Churchbury.The district was still predominantly rural, and the coming of the tram to Waltham Cross in 1904 saw the railway unable to compete. Passenger services ceased on 1 October 1909. During World War I the Lea Valley was the centre of the munitions industry and the government called on the GER to restore passenger services which served the original stations plus a purpose built wooden halt called Carterhatch Lane Halt. The service started operating to the original stations on 1 March 1915 and to Carterhatch Lane Halt on 4 July 1916. But once the war finished demand again fell off and services were withdrawn on 1 July 1919. After that the line was used only by goods trains until electrified as part of a wider scheme, and the station reopened as Southbury on 21 November 1960. The line is now known as the Southbury Loop.

 

In the early years the loop had a good service although few trains outside the peak hour operated to Liverpool street. Most trains terminated at White Hart Lane railway station necessitated a change and this factor probably helped to stifle passenger numbers. During World War I a shuttle service operated between Lower Edmonton Low Level station and the loop. Passengers had to change to the virtually adjacent high level station (now Edmonton Green) to continue their journey. In the May 1964 timetable the loop services worked fast from Liverpool Street to Edmonton Green thence calling at all stations to Broxbourne where the trains (formed of two electric Multiple Units) split with one half going to Hertford East and the other to Bishops Stortford (then the limit of electrification on the West Anglia Main Line). With the opening of the Victoria Line in 1968 services started calling at the interchange station at Seven Sisters. Since then various permutations of the timetable have been tried, but the May 2015 service is basically half hourly calling at all stations to Liverpool Street from the bay platform at Cheshunt. In the peak hours the Hertford East services also operate via the loop. On 31 May 2015 the station and all services that call here, transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia to London Overground Rail Operations. This change to London Overground will mean that Freedom Pass holders will be able to use their passes at any time, as on the Underground, thus avoiding the need to additionally carry an Oyster card when making journeys prior to 9:30a.m. The station is in Travel Card Zone 5. The station has wi-fi, payphones and help points but no toilets.

 

Connections: London Buses routes 121, 191, 307 and 313 serve the station.