The London Tilbury and Southend Railway (LTSR) connected the City of London with the port town of Tilbury in 1854 and then with the seaside town of Southend in 1856. The route to Southend was not direct, taking a considerable diversion in order to serve the port at Tilbury. Between 1885 and 1888 a new direct route linking Barking station with Pitsea station was constructed, with a station at Upminster opening on 1 May 1885. The next station to the east was East Horndon (now West Horndon) and to the west was Hornchurch. The Whitechapel and Bow Railway opened in 1902 and allowed through-services of the Metropolitan District Railway to operate on the LTSR line to Upminster. The District Railway converted to electric trains in 1905 and services were lost at Upminster when they were cut back to East Ham due to the tracks between East Ham and Upminster not yet having been electrified. Branches were opened by the LTSR to Grays in 1892 and Romford in 1893. The LTSR was purchased by Midland Railway in 1912 and was amalgamated into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMSR) from 1 January 1923. From 31 May 2015, the Romford to Upminster Line transferred to London Overground Rail Operations.
The station was greatly expanded in 1932 by the LMS and the main station buildings, the two footbridges and the buildings on the remaining platforms were constructed in typical 1930s style. A further platform for services to Romford was a later addition. The main station building, which gives access to Station Road and the taxi rank, has been extensively redeveloped in contemporary style and includes three units currently used as a newsagent, a coffee shop and a parcel service shop. The original Victorian station structures remaining on platform 1 have been refurbished and now serve as a second ticket office, toilets and waiting room with an exit to Station Approach and the station car park. The original platforms were linked by a subway which has since been abandoned. The station has seven platforms and two entrances. Platforms 1a is a bay platform used by a limited number of services to/from Ockendon and other services via Ockendon only to start or terminate here, 1 is for services to Fenchurch Street and 2 for Grays and Shoeburyness which are served by c2c services. Platforms 3, 4 and 5 are served by the District line, and platform 6 is served by services to Romford operated by London Overground. The typical off-peak service is 2 trains per hour to Romford. It is in Travelcard Zone 6. The station has payphones, a waiting room, wi-fi, a car park, cash machines, help points and boarding ramps.
Connections: National Rail. District Line. London Bus routes 248, 346, 347 and 370 serve the station. Non-TFL routes (Essex Buses route 26 and 848) also serve the station.