Osterley & Spring Grove station and the tracks through the current station were opened by the District line's predecessor, the District Railway (DR), on 1 May 1883 as a line to Hounslow Town (located on Hounslow High Street but now closed).On 21 July 1884 a branch was constructed from shortly north of Hounslow Town to Hounslow Barracks (now Hounslow West). The branch line was constructed as single track and initially had no intermediate stations between the terminus and Osterley & Spring Grove. Until 31 March 1886 passengers travelling west from Osterley & Spring Grove could go to either Hounslow Barracks or Hounslow Town. On that date Hounslow Town station closed and a new station, Heston & Hounslow (now Hounslow Central), opened to the west.
The station is located on Great West Road (A4) close to the National Trust-owned Osterley Park. It is in Travelcard Zone 4. The station was designed by Stanley Heaps in the modern European style used elsewhere on the Piccadilly line by Charles Holden. The design uses brick, reinforced concrete and large areas of glass and features a brick tower topped with a concrete "obelisk". In 2009, because of financial constraints, TfL decided to stop work on a project to provide step-free access at Osterley on the grounds that it was a relatively quiet station and within one or two stops of an existing step-free station, Hounslow East where step-free access has been available since 2005. The station has Payphones, a bridge, toilets and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses route H91 serves the station. Osterley is the closest station to British Sky Broadcasting's offices near Gillette Corner. Sky jointly runs a non public minibus service with Harrods to and from the station every 15 minutes during extended office hours for visitors and staff. The bus may be labelled Sky or Harrods.