Angel is one of the five stations on the London Underground named after a public house – in this case the once-famous Angel inn, which dates back to at least 1638. Angel station was originally built by the City & South London Railway (C&SLR), and opened on 17 November 1901 as the northern terminus of a new extension from Moorgate. The station building was designed by Sydney Smith and was located on the corner of City Road and Torrens Street. On 12 May 1907, the C&SLR opened a further extension from Angel to Euston and Angel became a through station. As with many of the C&SLR's stations, it was originally built with a single central island platform serving two tracks in a single tunnel – an arrangement still seen at Clapham North and Clapham Common (as of 2015).
The station's ticket hall has a sculpture of an Angel by Kevin Boys. Angel is also one of the number of stations to have only escalator access to the platforms. With a vertical rise of 27 metres (89 ft) and a length of 60 metres (200 ft), Angel station has the longest escalators on the Underground, and the fourth-longest set of escalators in Western Europe (after Náměstí Míru in the Prague Metro at 87 metres (285 ft), Västra skogen in the Stockholm Metro at 67 metres (220 ft) and Kamppi station in the Helsinki Metro at 64 metres (210 ft)
Connections: London Bus routes 4, 19, 30, 38, 43, 56, 73, 153, 205, 214, 274, 341, 394 and 476, and night routes N19, N38, N41, N73 and N205 serve the station.