When constructed, the area was simply the northern end of Holloway Road and had no specific name but, in the hope of attracting patronage, the terminus was originally named Highgate after the village up the hill. At the time of the station's construction the first cable car in Europe operated non-stop up Highgate Hill to the village from outside the Archway Tavern.
The Leslie Green designed station opened on 22 June 1907, under the name Highgate faced in Green's standard ox-blood glazed brick. It was opened as one of the northern terminals of what was then the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) and, as with other tube stations, soon gave its name to the local area. On 3 July 1939, the line was extended to the Great Northern Railway's station at Highgate and East Finchley station as part of the New Works Programme. The station was renamed Highgate (Archway) (after the nearby road bridge over the deep cutting containing Archway Road), then Archway (Highgate), before becoming just Archway
The station currently (as of 2015) has escalators (Otis type HD-B) to get down to the platforms. Alternatively, passengers can use the 113 steps (should you desire the exercise) to get down to the platforms.
Connections: London Bus routes 4, 17, 41, 43, 134, 143, 210, 263, 271, 390, C11 and W5 and night routes N20 and N41 serve the station.