The station opened on 6 December 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway (although the line had opened slightly earlier, on 13 September 1926), which later became part of the Northern line. At 20:02 on 14 October 1940, a 1400 kg semi-armour piercing fragmentation bomb fell on the road above the northern end of the platform tunnels, creating a large crater into which a bus then crashed. The northbound platform tunnel partially collapsed and was filled with earth and water from the fractured water mains and sewers above, which also flowed through the cross-passages into the southbound platform tunnel, with the flooding and debris reaching to within 100 yards of Clapham South.
The station, which is located between Clapham South and Tooting Bec stations, has entrances on the east and west sides of Balham High Road linked by a pedestrian subway. The two stations (National Rail and Underground) are connected, though owned and operated separately with separate ticket-issuing facilities and gatelines.
Connections: National Rail. London Buses routes 155, 249, 255, 315, 355 and N155 serve the station.