The station opened on 18 August 1924 on the north side of Colindale Avenue, on what was then the 'Hampstead and Highgate Line', the first station of the second section of the extension to Edgware. Colindale tube station was severely damaged during The Blitz. At 8:45 pm on 25 September 1940 the station was hit by a large bomb. Two trains with a total of 400 people on board were at the station at the time of the explosion, and 13 people were killed. The simple temporary timber structure erected after the bombing actually lasted longer than the original building as it was not replaced until 1962 when a new building was constructed incorporating shops.
The station is on the Edgware branch of the Northern line, between Burnt Oak and Hendon Central stations, and in Travelcard Zone 4. There is one island platform so be aware which direction you are facing for the trains.
Connections: London Buses routes 204 and 303 and night route N5 serve the station.