The station is at the eastern tip of Clapham Common and was opened in June 1900 as the new southern terminus of the City & South London Railway, which was extended from Stockwell. It remained the terminus until the Morden extension was opened in 1926. Apart from a small domed entrance building on the tip of the narrow triangular island formed by The Pavement and Clapham Common South Side and the new glass entrance pavilion, the station is entirely underground.
The station has two entrances, one at the west with a dome-shaped entrance and one at the east with a curved steel and glass pavilion. There is also a clock tower next to the western entrance. Clapham Common is one of two remaining deep-level stations on the underground that has an island platform in tunnel serving both the northbound and southbound lines, the other being Clapham North. Because of safety worries and high station usage(s) there are plans to replace them.
Connections: London Bus routes 35, 37, 50, 88, 137, 155, 249, 322, 345 and 417, 689 and 690 and night routes N35, N137 and N155 serve the station.