The station began life (1907) as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both branches the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.
It is one of only three stations where transfers between the Bank and Charing Cross branches of the Northern line are possible and the northern of the two junctions between them, Camden Town features a complex platform arrangement. Similar to its sister station of Kennington, the station has four platforms with cross-platform interchanges available between branches. All northbound trains use either platform 1 or 3, with Edgware branch trains using the former and High Barnet branch trains using the latter. Likewise, all southbound trains use either platform 2 or 4.
Connections: Camden Road station is located north of the station for London Overground services to Stratford, Hackney or Gospel Oak and Richmond. London Buses Routes 24, 27, 29, 31, 88, 134, 168, 214, 253, 274, C2 and Night Routes N5, N20, N28, N29, N31, N253, N279 serve the station. Route 46 passes nearby.