The station was built in two stages. The Northern line station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the first deep-level tube, the City and South London Railway (C&SLR). The Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR) station opened on 5 August 1906, five months after the rest of the line. Although belonging to separate companies, the platforms were connected below ground from 10 August 1906. The first baby to be born on the underground was born at the station in 1924. Press reports claimed that she had been named Thelma Ursula Beatrice Eleanor (so that her initials would have read T.U.B.E.) but this story later proved false, and she was named Marie Cordery.
The station has two surface buildings, widely separated by a large roundabout. There are no escalators. At the more northerly (Bakerloo) one, entrance is through the original entrance and exit is through the new extension, adjoining Skipton House. To get from either ticket hall to the platforms it is necessary to use lifts or very narrow and steep spiral stairs. The northern building provides the most direct access to the Bakerloo line, while the southern one is linked more directly to the Northern line.
Connections: Bakerloo Line. London Buses routes 1, 12, 35, 40, 45, 53, 63, 68, 100, 133, 136, 148, 155, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188, 196, 333, 343, 344, 360, 363, 415, 453, 468, C10 and P5 and night routes N1, N35, N63, N68, N89, N133, N155, N171 and N343 serve the station.