The station was opened on 18 August 1924 as the terminus of the second phase of the Underground Group's extension of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway from Golders Green. Despite having already had a railway station since 1867 (Edgware station on the London and North Eastern Railway), Edgware was, in 1924, still very much a village in character. The new Underground station was built on the north edge of the village in open fields and, as intended, the new line stimulated rapid suburban expansion along its length.
There are three platforms, an island lying east of a single platform (platform 1). A trainshed covers the island platforms (2 and 3). During 2008-09, Tube Lines carried out work to modernise the station, including the fitting of lifts to enable step-free platform access, improved CCTV coverage and more help points.
Connections: London Buses routes 32, 79, 107, 113, 142, 186, 204, 221, 240, 251, 288, 292, 303, 305 and 340 and night routes N5, N16 and N113 and non-TFL routes 614 and 644 serve the station and bus station.