Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot. At the beginning of the 20th century Golders Green was a small rural hamlet with only a few houses, but the opening of the railway stimulated a rapid building boom causing the number of houses and the population to increase greatly. To the south of the station in the tunnels beneath Hampstead Heath is the partially built but uncompleted North End or Bull & Bush station.
The station has three tracks running through it which serve a single-sided platform and two double-sided island platforms. The platforms are numbered 1 to 5 with numbers 1 and 2 serving each side of one track and 3 and 4 serving each side of another. Platform 1 northbound is not presently in public use. Two new lifts were installed during 2008, one on platform 2/3 and one on platform 4/5 to provide step-free access to the platforms. Ticket barriers are in operation.
Connections: London Buses routes 13, 82, 83, 102, 183, 210, 226, 240, 245, 260, 268, 328, 460, 631, H2 and H3 and night routes N5 amd N13 serve the station.