It was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway as Tottenham Court Road but changed to the present name on 3 September 1908 when an interchange was built between the previously separate (and differently named) Northern and Central line stations at the present Tottenham Court Road. Goodge Street station changed its name on the same date.
It is one of the few tube stations that still rely on lifts rather than escalators to transport passengers to and from street level. In addition, it is one of the few tube stations with lifts to use the original scheme of separate exit and entrance areas. Alternatively, passengers can use the 136-step staircase to get down to the platforms. Although the station is extremely busy at peak times, the flow is very one-sided. Few people enter the station when the majority are exiting and vice versa, and four lifts, full when travelling in one direction, often return with few people in them.
Connections: London Bus routes 10, 14, 24, 29, 73, 134 and 390, and night routes N5, N20, N29, N73, N253 and N279 serve the station. Furthermore, bus routes 10, 14, 24, 134 and 390 provide a 24-hour bus service.