Mill Hill East station was built by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was opened as Mill Hill on 22 August 1867 by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) (which had taken over the EH&LR) in rural Middlesex to serve Inglis Barracks, Mill Hill. The station was on a line from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate. After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four companies, the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s.
Mill Hill East station retains its Victorian architectural character and, as one of the two remaining original stations on the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (along with Finchley Central), it is one of the oldest parts of the Underground, pre-dating the first tunnelled section of the Northern line (the City & South London Railway) by more than 20 years. The main low brick building is typical of the style developed by the GNR, although now altered by the crude infilling of windows to the right of the entrance to hide the ticket issuing machine inside. The sole platform on the embankment above is reached by an attractive brick-lined staircase. At platform level there is a small brick waiting room with a short canopy at the top of the steps
Connections: London Bus routes 221, 240 and 382 serve the station. Mill Hill East also serves Saracens RFC match-days where shuttle buses run from the station to a short walking distance from the stadium, Allianz Park