The station was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway south from Clapham Common. On the original plan it had the name "Merton Grove". For geographical accuracy, the station was shown as "South Wimbledon (Merton)" on tube maps from 1928, the name was also modified on platform signage, though not on the station building at street level. From the early-1950s, the "(Merton)" part of the name fell out of use. Along with the other stations on the Morden extension, the building was designed by architect Charles Holden.
South Wimbledon is on the boundary between Travelcard Zone 3 and Zone 4. The station is the southernmost station on the London Underground network which has platforms in tunnels (Morden tube station is further south, but is an open cutting rather than tunnels). It is not actually in Wimbledon but was given this name as it was considered an advantage to indicate its proximity to Wimbledon rather than its actual location in Merton.
Connections: London Buses routes 57, 93, 131, 152, 219, 470 and night route N155 serve the station. Morden Road tram stop on Tramlink Route 3 is within walking distance of the station.