Stockwell station was ceremonially opened on 4 November 1890 by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), as the most southerly station on the City & South London Railway (C&SLR) - London's first deep level tube railway. Passenger services began just over one month later on 18 December 1890. The original building, designed by T. P. Figgis, was similar to – but larger than – the existing surface building at Kennington with a domed roof to the original lift shaft. The two lifts each carried 50 people to and from the platforms until their replacement by escalators in the mid-1920s.
The station has ticket halls, three escalators, 7 gates, 13 payphones, a Wifi service, 9 vending machines and a photo booth. The ticket hall has electronic departure boards. Please be aware that the ticket office was closed in early 2015 as part of the TfL investment programme.
Connections: Victoria Line. London Bus routes 2, 50, 88, 155, 196, 333, 345 and P5 and night routes N2 and N155 serve the station. Additionally, bus routes 88 and 345 have a 24-hour service.