The station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway. The building was designed by architect Leslie Green and the exterior features glazed terracotta (faïence) tiling, supplied by the Leeds Fireclay Company. Although close to Junction Road railway station on the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway, there was never a physical connection between the two stations.
TfL announced on 11 March 2015 that Tufnell Park station would close for nine months in order to replace the station's ageing lifts. The station closed to passengers on 8 June 2015 and is scheduled to reopen in mid-March 2016.
Connections: London Buses routes 4, 134 and 390 and night route N20 serve the station.