Totteridge & Whetstone station was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Whetstone and Totteridge on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR). The station was on a branch line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project which begun in the late 1930s. Totteridge and Whetstone station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940 and LNER services ended in 1941.
The station still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today. The station is not wheelchair accessible due to flights of stairs to both the north- and southbound platform. The station has ticket halls, three gates, toilets, payphones, a car park, waiting room and two snack vending machines. The ticket office opens on Mondays to Saturdays only.
Connections: London Bus routes 34, 125, 234, 251, 263, 326, 383, 605, 626, 628, 634 and 688 and night route N20 serve the station.