The station was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway south from Clapham Common. Built with shops to each side, the modernist design takes the form of a double-height curving screen clad in white Portland stone with a three-part glazed screen in the centre of the façade divided by columns of which the capitals are three-dimensional versions of the Underground roundel. The central panel of the screen contains a large version of the roundel.
The station is a Grade II listed building. The station has a ticket hall, three escalators, 8 gates, a photo booth, cash machines (including Euro Cash Machines), three payphones and 7 Help Points (6 on the platforms and one elsewhere) and access to the station is only via the escalators. There is also a Wifi service at the station. The station also has electronic whiteboards in the ticket hall and features a post-office style queuing for tickets; it is in Travelcard Zone 3.
Connections: London Bus routes 44, 57, 77, 127, 131, 155, 219, 264, 270, 280, 333, 355, 493 and G1 and night routes N44 and N155 serve the station. In addition, bus routes 57 and 264 provide a 24-hour bus service.