The first Underground station at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed "The Drain", achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London. On 13 September 1926, the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate line (as the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line was then known) was opened from Embankment to the existing City & South London Railway station Kennington with a new station at Waterloo.
It is the third busiest station on the Underground network with over 91 million passenger entries and exits in 2014. The station is situated in fare zone 1 and is located near the South Bank of the River Thames, in the London Borough of Lambeth. It's within walking distance to the London Eye. The Jubilee line platforms are at the opposite end of the site from those of the Bakerloo and Northern lines, but the two ends are connected by a 140-metre (460 ft) moving walkway link.
Connections: National Rail; Waterloo & City, Jubilee and Bakerloo lines. The station is served by London Buses routes 1, 4, 26, 59, 68, 76, 77, 139, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188, 211, 243, 341, 381, 507, 521, RV1 and X68 and night routes N1, N68, N76, N171, N20, N343 and N381.