Silver Street railway station was originally a station on the Stoke Newington & Edmonton Railway which opened on 22 July 1872. The station takes its name from the street so called which is recorded thus c.1630 and which possibly alludes to silversmiths living here at that date or in earlier times. The street used to include the part of Sterling Way which now runs past the station. Several changes were made to Silver Street Station in the early 1980s. The two wooden covered staircases leading up to the platforms were replaced by two open air concrete staircases. The north-bound platform roof was removed and replaced with a simple brick shelter. A fire on the London-bound platforms in the 1990s damaged much of the original roof. A new modern structure was put in its place alongside the remaining undamaged portion.
The Fore street tunnel section of the A406 North Circular Road was built beneath the station during the 1990s without any disruption to service. At this time a new ticket office was constructed on the east side of the station. Silver Street Station is located on a long straight section of elevated track. Looking north, the platforms of Edmonton Green Station can be clearly made out whilst, looking south, trains leaving White Hart Lane are seen almost immediately as they leave the station. The Train Station is also for North Middlesex Hospital. On 31 May 2015 the station and all services that call here, transferred from Abellio Greater Anglia to become part of the London Overground network. The station is in Travel Card Zone 4. The station has wi-fi and help points, but no toilets.
Connections: London Buses Routes 34, 102, 144 and 444 serve the station.