The route through Hounslow East station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on 21 July 1884 as a branch to Hounslow Barracks (now Hounslow West). The branch line was constructed as single track from the DR's existing route to Hounslow Town station located at the eastern end of Hounslow High Street where the bus garage is now located. That station had opened in 1883. Initially the branch to Hounslow Barracks had no stations between there and Osterley & Spring Grove (now Osterley). Hounslow Town station was closed on 31 March 1886 and Heston & Hounslow station (now Hounslow Central), opened as its replacement the following day, 1 April 1886. On 1 December 1925 the station was given its present name at the same time that Hounslow West and Hounslow Central received their current names. Piccadilly Line services, which had been running as far as Northfields since January 1933 were extended to run to Hounslow West on 13 March 1933. From this date, the branch was operated jointly by both lines until District Line services were withdrawn on 9 October 1964.
The station is located on Kingsley Road about 400m north of Hounslow High Street. Hounslow bus garage is a short walk to the south. It is in Travelcard Zone 4. New station buildings, to designs by Acanthus Lawrence and Wrightson Architects, have now replaced the old ones . Phase 1 of the scheme, which was completed in July 2002, required the excavation of the existing embankment and provided a new ticket hall with ancillary staff accommodation, interchange passageway and stairs to each platform. The second phase which involved the construction of the eastbound platform building, with a striking green roof, completed early 2003. As part of the works, lifts have been provided to both platforms. Staff frequently play classical music on the PA system as part of an experiment to discourage anti-social activities at the station. The station has payphones, cash machines, Euro cash machines, boarding ramps, lifts and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses routes 111 and H28 serve the station.