The first underground station at King's Cross opened as part of the original section of the Metropolitan Railway in 1863 and was rearranged in 1868 and 1926. New platforms for the sub-surface lines of the Underground were opened about 400 m (440 yd) to the west in 1941 to make interchanging between the sub-surface lines and the tube lines easier; the 1868 platforms later became the former King's Cross Thameslink station, which closed on 9 December 2007 when the Thameslink service moved to St Pancras International. One of the platforms may be seen from Underground trains between the present station and Farringdon. The Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now part of the Piccadilly line) platforms opened with the rest of the line in December 1906, while the City & South London Railway (C&SLR, now part of the Northern line) arrived in May 1907. The Victoria line platforms came into use on 1 December 1968 with the opening of the second phase of the line. The Victoria line escalators cut through the location of the original Piccadilly line lifts. In 2005 a business case was prepared to re-open the disused York Road tube station on the Piccadilly line, to serve the Kings Cross Central development and help relieve congestion at King's Cross St Pancras.
The biggest interchange on the TFL system. The underground part of the station underwent extensive remodelling works to increase throughflow of passengers resulting from the opening of High Speed 1. The expanded station now has four entrances, and was completed in November 2009. The main ticket hall (sometimes referred to as the "Tube Ticket Hall") is in front of King's Cross station. It has been expanded and refurbished and is signposted as the 'Euston Road' way out from the tube lines. The Pentonville Road entrance: this used to be the ticket hall for King's Cross Thameslink station and had underground passageway connections to the Piccadilly and Victoria lines. It was taken over by London Underground when the Thameslink platforms closed. The entrance is not open at weekends and the ticket office has been permanently closed, with ticket machines remaining. The Western Ticket Hall is under the forecourt of St Pancras station, adjacent to Euston Road. It provides access to St Pancras Station via the St Pancras undercroft and opened on 28 May 2006. The Northern Ticket Hall is west of King's Cross station platform 8, underneath the new main concourse. The London Underground ticket hall and associated connections to the tube lines were opened on 29 November 2009. The hall is convenient for the proposed King's Cross Central development and has a connection to the transverse passageway of St Pancras mainline station. It is signposted as the 'Regent's Canal' way out from the tube lines. This is the closest stop for the RNIB, please ask for assitance in crossing the road from the TfL staff. The station has lifts, escalators, payphones, wi-fi, cash machines and Euro cash machines.
Connections: Eurostar. National Rail. ThamesLink. Victoria, Northern and Hammersmith & City Lines. London Buses routes 10, 17, 30, 45, 46, 59, 63, 73, 91, 205, 214, 259, 390 and 476 and night routes N63, N73, N91 and N205 serve the station.