The station opened on 13 March 1933 as part of the Cockfosters extension, its original name being Enfield West. The station did not appear on the original plans to extend the Piccadilly line beyond Finsbury Park, which only provided for seven additional stations, however it served as the line's terminus for a brief period before Cockfosters station was opened. The station building is a fine example of the architecture Charles Holden built for the Piccadilly line extensions, with a large and imposing box-shaped ticket hall surrounded by lower structures containing shops. The ceiling of the booking hall is particularly monumental and bold. The whole design mirrors proportions found in classical architecture, albeit in a distinctly 20th century structure. Like other extensions of the London Underground lines, the opening of the Cockfosters extension stimulated the rapid development of new suburbs and much of the open countryside that existed in 1930 when construction started was quickly covered by new housing developments.
The station is on the edge of the Oakwood area of Enfield (N14) and is situated at the junction of Bramley Road (A110) and Chase Road (the other end of Chase Road is close to Southgate tube station). This station has step-free access after the upgrades made to the station between October and December 2007. The station is in Travelcard Zone 5. Before the station opened, the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (forerunner of London Underground) suggested names for it including Oakwood, Merryhills and East Barnet, but it was named Enfield West at opening and renamed Enfield West (Oakwood) the following year. The station was located in the area of Southgate Council and, following protests from the council, it was eventually renamed Oakwood on 1 September 1946. The station has payphones, toilets, lifts, a bridge and a waiting room.
Connections: London Buses routes 121, 307 and 377 serve the station.