The earliest known reference to cricket being played in Lancashire is in 1781. In 1816, the Manchester Cricket Club was founded and soon became representative of Lancashire as a county in the same way that Sheffield Cricket Club and Nottingham Cricket Club represented Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire. On 23–25 July 1849, the Sheffield and Manchester clubs played each other at Hyde Park Ground, Sheffield but the fixture was called “Yorkshire versus Lancashire”. As such, it was the first match to involve a Lancashire county team and also, therefore, the first "Roses Match". Yorkshire won by five wickets. In 1857, the Manchester club moved to Old Trafford, which has been the home of Lancashire cricket ever since. In 1864, the leading members of the Manchester Cricket Club organised a meeting for the purpose of forming a club to represent the county; 13 clubs were represented at the meeting and, on 12 January 1864, Lancashire County Cricket Club was created. The club was committed to playing matches in different parts of the county to "introduce ... cricket into every part of Lancashire". The new club’s first county match was played in 1865 at Old Trafford against Middlesex; Lancashire won the match by 62 runs, although Middlesex bowler V. E. Walker took all ten wickets in Lancashire’s second innings. The early Lancashire side was reliant upon amateurs, which led to problems; although they were happy to play at Old Trafford, they were less willing to travel to away fixtures.
During the early 1870s, the team was dominated by Monkey Hornby’s batting. The team’s standard of cricket improved with the arrival of two professional players, Dick Barlow and Alex Watson. The impact of Barlow and Hornby was such that their batting partnership was immortalised in the poem At Lord’s by Francis Thompson. The team was further enhanced by A. G. Steel – an amateur considered second only to W. G. Grace as the country’s best all rounder – Johnny Briggs – a professional from Sutton-in-Ashfield and the only player to score 10,000 runs and take 1,000 wickets for Lancashire – and wicket-keeper Dick Pilling – who in 1891 was rated by Wisden as the second-best wicket-keeper in the world behind Jack Blackham. As Lancashire’s consistency improved, so did their support: in 1878, 28,000 over three days watched Lancashire play Gloucestershire. The County Championship was founded in 1890, and champions were decided by points rather than the press as had happened previously. Lancashire was one of the eight founding teams of the championship along with Gloucestershire, Kent, Middlesex, Nottinghamshire, Surrey, Sussex and Yorkshire. The team was runner up in 1890 and 1891. Archie MacLaren was appointed captain in 1894, four years after making his debut whilst still captain of Harrow. In 1895 MacLaren made his record breaking innings of 424 against Somerset at Taunton; his innings remained the highest first-class score for an Englishman and was the first first-class quadruple century.
The site was first used as a cricket ground in 1857, when the Manchester Cricket Club moved onto the meadows of the de Trafford estate. Despite the construction of a large pavilion (for the amateurs – the professionals used a shed at the opposite end of the ground), Old Trafford's first years were rocky: accessible only along a footpath from the railway station, the ground was situated out in the country, and games only attracted small crowds. It was not until the Roses match of 1875 that significant numbers attended a game. When W.G. Grace brought Gloucestershire in 1878, Old Trafford saw 28,000 spectators over three days, and this provoked improvements to access and facilities. In 1884, Old Trafford became the second English ground, after The Oval, to stage Test cricket: with the first day being lost to rain, England drew with Australia. Expansion of the ground followed over the next decade, with the decision being taken to construct a new pavilion in 1894. During the Second World War, Old Trafford was used as a transit camp for troops returning from Dunkirk, and as a supply depot. In December 1940, the ground was hit by bombs, damaging or destroying several stands. Despite this damage cricket resumed promptly after the war, with German PoWs being paid a small wage to prepare the ground. The 'Victory Test' between England and Australia of August 1945 proved to be extremely popular, with 76,463 seeing it over three days.
The two ends of the ground are the Pavilion End to the north and the Brian Statham End to the south, renamed in honour of the former Lancashire and England player. A section of Warwick Road to the east is also called Brian Statham Way. Immediately abutting the ground to the south-east is the Old Trafford Metrolink station. Old Trafford has a reputation for unpredictable weather. Old Trafford is the only ground in England where a Test match has been abandoned without a ball being bowled – and this has happened here twice in 1890 and 1938.
There is level access around the site; however, if you encounter any difficulties please ask the nearest steward for assistance. There are Wheelchair User Areas and in addition seating is unreserved for the following areas:- A Stand – adjacent to the Pavilion and located at pitch level. B Stand – access through the Red Rose gap. C Stand – access at the side of the stand opposite the outside nets. E stand – Elevated platform viewing area – access through the front of the Point using the lift. All access is via level ground apart from the elevated seating on E stand which is accessed via a lift. The Red Rose Suite is located on the second floor of the Red Rose Building and unfortunately there is no lift access. There are accessible toilet facilities in the concourses of all stands. There are also facilities for disabled people within the Pavilion for Members and within The Point on the first floor, accessed through the Atrium Bar area. A steward will be able to direct you to the most convenient / nearest toilet. Accessible Stadium Plan. The Club welcomes all assistance dogs on site, should water be needed please request this from your nearest steward or member of staff. There is a public address system and all matches are broadcast on BBC local radio.
Location : Emirates Old Trafford, Lancashire County Cricket Club, Talbot Road, Manchester M16 0PX
Transport: Manchester Piccadilly (National Rail) then metrolink. Metrolink: Emirates Old Trafford. Bus Routes: 114, 252, 253, 254. and 257 stop close by.
Capacity : 19000; Internationals 26,000; Concerts 65,000
Opening Times: Daily 08:00 to 17:00
Tickets County/One Day : Adults £15.00; Senior £10.00; Junior £7.50
Tickets T20 Blast : Adults £12.00; Senior £12.00; Junior £6.00
Tickets Test Match : Adults £49.00; Senior £49.00; Junior £37.00
Tickets Women: Adults £5.00; Senior £5.00; Junior £1.00
Tel: 0161 282 4000
The ground hosted its maiden first-class cricket match in 1881, a fixture between Lancashire and Cambridge University. Designed by Thomas Harnett Harrison and built in 1880, the pavilion is the oldest at a first-class cricket ground. The first Women's Cricket World Cup was held in England in 1973. During the tournament Aigburth hosted its only Women's One Day International, a match between International XI Women and Trinidad and Tobago Women. The West Indies cricket team toured England in 1984 and played a tour match against Lancashire at Aigburth. A 7,633-strong crowd watched the match. Lancashire lost by 56 runs, and Gordon Greenidge scored 186 while opening the batting. It has one of better surfaces of the county's other venues, which has a habit of producing exciting and result-oriented matches, and one of the largest squares. Temporary seating is brought in for county matches, but the ground retains the feel of a club venue with plenty of space for seating around the boundary edge. Facilities for players and spectators are good.
The Public Address system will give live scores and updates of key developments during the match. The ground is easily accessible for wheelchair users. Guide dogs are permitted within the ground. Should your dog require water then the staff at any food service outlet will be willing to help. Should any assistance be required to reach your seat or any facility, please contact the nearest steward who will make arrangements to provide this. Visually impaired spectators at County matches can listen to the match day commentary supplied by the BBC local radio. There is disabled (blue badge) parking available and fully accessible toilets reserved for disabled use.
Location : Aigburth Rd, Liverpool, Merseyside L19 3QF
Transport: Aigburth (MerseyRail) 0.75 miles. Bus Routes: 82, 82A, 82B, 82D, 167, 600, 800 and TX1A stop near the ground.
Capacity : 3,000
Opening Times: Daily 09:00 to 17:00
Tickets : No County Matches 2016
Tel: 0151 427 2930