Trent Bridge Pavilion

Trent Bridge Pavilion

Trent Bridge Aerial

Trent Bridge Aerial


The earliest known reference to cricket in the county is the Nottingham Cricket Club v Sheffield Cricket Club match on the Forest Racecourse at Nottingham on Monday 26 and Tuesday 27 August 1771. The outcome of the game was "not determined on account of a dispute having arisen by one of the Sheffield players being jostled"! The match is the first important inter-county match involving teams from either Nottinghamshire or Yorkshire.Several Nottingham matches in the 18th century have been recorded. Their opponents were usually Sheffield, Leicestershire & Rutland or MCC. The club grew in strength during the first thirty years of the 19th century and, by the time the county club was founded, Nottinghamshire was one of the "great counties" in cricket. Nottinghamshire as a county team, played its first inter-county match versus Sussex at Brown's Ground, Brighton on 27, 28 and 29 August 1835. Nottinghamshire was recognised as a first-class county team, rather than a town club team, from 1835 but it is doubtful if the organisation at this time was a formally constituted club. The formal creation of Nottinghamshire CCC was enacted in March or April 1841 (the exact date has been lost).


Founding club captain William Clarke formed the All-England Eleven team which included great players such as Fuller Pilch and Alfred Mynn. It was Clarke's successor as Nottinghamshire captain, George Parr, who first captained a united England touring team in 1859. Early professional greats such as Alfred Shaw and Arthur Shrewsbury ensured that Notts were a force in the period before 1900. Thanks largely to the outstanding bowling combination of Tom Wass and Albert Hallam, the county won the County Championship in 1907 when George Gunn, John Gunn and Wilfred Payton were also prominent. Between the wars Notts enjoyed the services of the famous bowlers Harold Larwood and Bill Voce. Strong batting from George Gunn, Arthur Carr and Dodger Whysall saw them emerge as champions in 1929 after losing the title on the final day of the season in 1927. Prior to the second war, opening batsman Walter Keeton gained Test recognition, though the bowling was less effective. Through the early fifties the team was weak. The signing of the Australian leg break bowler Bruce Dooland, arrested the decline but until the signing of the incomparable Garfield Sobers in 1968, the team was weak. Sobers hit Malcolm Nash of Glamorgan for six sixes in an over in a County Championship game at Swansea in his first season. Mike Harris scored heavily in the 1970s, including nine centuries in 1971 but apart from Barry Stead, the bowling lacked penetration.


Trent Bridge - West Bridgford, Notts.


Trent Bridge was first used as a cricket ground in the 1830s. The first recorded cricket match was held on an area of ground behind the Trent Bridge Inn in 1838. Trent Bridge hosted its first Test match in 1899, for England playing against Australia. The ground was first opened in 1841 by William Clarke, husband of the proprietress of the Trent Bridge Inn and himself Captain of the All England Cricket Team. He was commemorated in 1990 by the opening of the new William Clarke Stand which incorporates the Rushcliffe Suite. The West Park Sports Ground in West Bridgford was the private ground of Sir Julien Cahn, a furniture millionaire, who often played host to touring national sides. Trent Bridge is considered to be one of the best grounds in the world to watch cricket. Trent Bridge's serene pavilion, kept within the architectural parameters of its 1889 foundation, is thought of as one of the most renowned trademarks of cricket because it faces the wicket at an angle.


Recent developments include the Radcliffe Road Cricket Centre, opened in 1998 and the state of the art Fox Road stand, which has received awards for its architectural excellence. The latter includes a modernistic aircraft-wing roof and was opened in 2002. Commencing in 2007, Trent Bridge has undergone redevelopment with the construction of a new stand to replace the Parr Stand and West Wing and the addition of one to five rows of extra seating at the front of several of the other stands. This increased capacity from 15,358 to 17,500, and the work was completed in time for the 2008 Test match against New Zealand. Bowling takes place from the Pavilion End and the Radcliffe Road End, with the wickets laid square of the Fox Road, William Clarke and new stands. There is wheelchair access and designated wheelchair viewing areas plus wheelchair accessible lifts to the upper levels. There are disabled access toilets. Documents in braille are available. All Nottinghamshire Cricket Matches have commentary provide by BBC local radio.


Location : Bridgford Rd, West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire NG2 6AG

Transport: Nottingham (National Rail) then bus or taxi. Bus Routes: Green Line 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and Cotgrave Connection stop nearby.

Capacity : 17,500

Opening Times: Daily 09:30 to 16:30

Tickets County/One Day : Adults £16.00;  Seniors/17 - 21 £11.00;  Children £8.00

Tickets T20 Blast : Adults £16.00;  Seniors/17 - 21 £11.00;  Children £8.00

Tickets International: Adults £50.00;  Children £10.00

Tel: 0115 982 3000