On 18 May 1882, Burnley Rovers Football Club decided to shift their allegiance from rugby union to football. Playing in various green or blue and white kits for their first few years, the club played their first competitive game in October 1882 against Astley Bridge in the Lancashire Challenge Cup, that game ending in an 8–0 defeat. In the early months of 1883 the club moved to Turf Moor and remain there, only their Lancashire rivals Preston North End having continuously occupied the same ground for longer.

Burnley first appeared in the FA Cup in 1885–86, but were ignominiously beaten 11–0 when eligibility restrictions meant that their reserve side had to be fielded against Darwen Old Wanderers. A year later, on 13 October 1886, Turf Moor became the first ground to be visited by a member of the Royal Family. When it was decided to found the Football League for the 1888–89 season, Burnley were among the twelve founders of that competition, and one of the six clubs based in Lancashire. Burnley's William Tait became the first player to score a hat-trick in league football in only the second match of the inaugural season, when his three goals gave the Clarets an away win to Bolton Wanderers.

Burnley, now known as 'The Turfites', 'Moorites' or 'Royalites' as a result of the name of their new ground and the royal connection, eventually finished 9th in the first season of the league, but only one place from bottom in 1889–90, following a 17-game winless streak at the start of the season. That season did, however, present Burnley with their first honours, winning the Lancashire Cup with a 2–0 final victory over local rivals Blackburn Rovers.

Before Burnley won a trophy again, they were relegated to the Second Division for the first time in 1896–97. They responded to this by winning promotion the next season, losing only two of their 30 matches along the way before gaining promotion through a play-off series, then known as test matches. Burnley and First Division club Stoke City both entered the last match, to be played between the two teams, needing a draw for promotion (or in Stoke's case to retain their First Division place). A 0–0 draw ensued, reportedly "The match without a shot at goal", and the league immediately withdrew the test match system in favour of automatic promotion and relegation. Ironically, the league also decided to expand the top division after the test match series of 1897–98 and the other two teams also went into the top division for the following year, negating the effect of Burnley and Stoke City's reputed collusion.

Burnley were relegated again in 1899–1900 and found themselves at the centre of a controversy when their goalkeeper, Jack Hillman attempted to bribe their opponents, Nottingham Forest, in the last match of the season, resulting in his suspension for the whole of the following season. It was the earliest recorded case of match fixing in football. During the first decade of the 20th century, Burnley continued to play in the Second Division, even finishing in bottom place in one season, although the indications of success just around the corner were evident. Burnley changed their colours from green to the claret and sky blue of Aston Villa, the most successful club in England at the time, for the 1910–11 season, as manager John Haworth believed it might bring a change of fortune. The tides did indeed turn the following season, when only a loss in the last game of the season denied the club promotion.

Burnley continued to improve, as the 1912–13 season saw them win promotion to the First Division once more, as well as reaching the FA Cup semi-final, only to lose to Sunderland. The next season was one of consolidation in the top flight, but more importantly their first major honour, the FA Cup, was won, against fellow Lancastrians Liverpool in the final (1–0). Ex-Evertonian Bert Freeman, whose father travelled from Australia to see his son play in the final, scored the only goal, as Burnley became the first club to beat five First Division clubs in one cup season.

This was the last final to be played at Crystal Palace and King George V became the first reigning monarch to present the cup to the winning captain, in this case to Tommy Boyle. The winning Burnley team also got special medals with "English Cup Winners" written on it instead of the usual "FA Cup Winners" inscription.

World War I impacted the 1914–15 season, in which Burnley finished 4th in the First Division, before English football reorganised itself and took a back seat to the needs of the conflict. Upon resumption of full-time football in 1919–20, Burnley finished second in the First Division to West Bromwich Albion, but this was not a peak, merely presaging Burnley's first ever League Championship in 1920–21. Burnley lost their opening three matches that season before going on a 30-match unbeaten run, a record for unbeaten games in a single season that lasted until Arsenal went unbeaten through the whole of the 2003–04 season. Burnley finished third the following season, but thereafter followed a steady deterioration of their position, with only 5th place in 1926–27 offering respite from a series of near-relegations which culminated in demotion in 1929–30.

Burnley struggled in English football's second tier, narrowly avoiding a further relegation in 1931–32 by only two points. The years through to the outbreak of the Second World War were characterised by uninspiring league finishes, broken only by a FA Cup semi-final appearance in 1934–35 and the arrival (and equally swift departure) of English Football Hall of Fame inductee and centre-forward Tommy Lawton. Burnley participated in the varying football leagues that continued throughout the war, but it wasn't until the 1946–47 season that league football proper was restored.

In the first season of post-war league football, Burnley gained promotion through second place in the Second Division. Additionally, there was a run to the FA Cup Final, with Aston Villa, Coventry City, Luton Town, Middlesbrough and Liverpool being defeated before Charlton Athletic beat Burnley 1–0 after extra time in the final at Wembley. Burnley immediately made an impact the top division, finishing third in 1947–48 as the club began to assemble a team capable of regularly aiming for honours.

Burnley became one of the most progressive clubs around from the following decade, the 1950s, to the early 1970s under the reign of lifelong Burnley supporter and newly appointed chairman Bob Lord. They were one of the first teams to build a training ground, while most teams trained on public parks or at their own grounds. Further, the club became, after foundations were laid by Lord and manager Alan Brown, renowned for their youth policy and scouting system, which yielded many young players over the years such as club legends Jimmy McIlroy, Willie Morgan and Martin Dobson.

In his relatively short spell at the club from 1954 to 1957, Brown also introduced short corners and a huge array of free kick routines, which were soon copied across the land. In the 1956–57 season, Ian Lawson, another product of the Burnley youth academy, scored a record four goals on his debut as a 17-year-old versus Chesterfield in the FA Cup. That same season saw a club record 9–0 victory over New Brighton in the FA Cup — despite missing a penalty — and the following season former player Harry Potts became manager.

The team of this period revolved around the midfield duo of Jimmy Adamson and Jimmy McIlroy (a new stand was named after the latter in the 1990s) and these two were key to the championship-winning team of 1959–60 managed by Potts (who now gives his name to the road which Turf Moor occupies). Harry Potts often employed the, at the time unfashionable, 4–4–2 formation and he introduced Total Football to English football in his first seasons at the club.

Burnley endured a tense 1959–60 season in which Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers were the other protagonists in the chase for the league title, but the club ultimately clinched their second league championship on the last day of the season at Maine Road, Manchester with a 2–1 victory against Manchester City with goals from Brian Pilkington and Trevor Meredith. Although they had been in contention all season, Burnley had never led the table until this last match was played out. Potts had only used eighteen players throughout the whole season, as John Connelly became Burnley's top scorer with 20 goals.

The Lancastrians' title-winning squad cost just £13,000 in transfer fees too — £8,000 on McIlroy in 1950 and £5,000 on left-back Alex Elder in 1959. The other players of the squad each came from the Burnley youth academy. After the season finished, Burnley went to the United States to participate in the inaugural international football tournament in North America, the International Soccer League.

The following season Burnley played in European competition for the first time, beating former European Cup finalists Reims, before losing to Hamburger SV in the quarter-finals, losing in a FA Cup semi-final to Tottenham and finishing fourth in the league. Burnley finished the 1961–62 season as runners-up (after only winning two of the last thirteen league matches) to newly promoted Ipswich Town and had a run to the FA Cup Final, where a Jimmy Robson goal, the 100th FA Cup Final goal at Wembley, was their only reply to 3 goals from Spurs. Jimmy Adamson was, however, named Footballer of the Year in English football after the season ended.

Burnley had, due to their success, several players with international caps in this period, including, for England Ray Pointer (3 caps), Colin McDonald (8 caps), and John Connelly (20 caps), a member of the 1966 World Cup squad, for Northern Ireland Jimmy McIlroy (55 caps) and for Scotland Adam Blacklaw (3 caps). Nonetheless, although far from a two-man team, the controversial departure of McIlroy to Stoke City and retirement of Adamson coincided with a decline in fortunes. Adamson reputedly turned down the England manager's post which then went to former Ipswich manager Alf Ramsey.

Even more damaging for Burnley was the impact of the abolition of the maximum wage in 1961, meaning clubs from small towns, e.g. Burnley, could no longer compete financially with teams from bigger towns and cities. They managed, however, to retain their First Division place throughout the decade finishing third in 1965–66, with Willie Irvine becoming the league's top goal scorer that season, and reaching the semi-final of the League Cup in 1968–69. They had also reached the quarter-finals of the 1966–67 Fairs Cup, in which they were knocked out by German side Eintracht Frankfurt.

The remainder of the decade was otherwise one of mid-table mediocrity, with Potts being replaced by Adamson as manager in 1970 after a 12-year spell. Adamson was unable to halt the slide and relegation followed in 1970–71 ending a long unbroken top flight spell of 24 consecutive seasons during which, more often than not, they had been in the upper reaches of the league table.

Burnley won the Second Division title in 1972–73 with Adamson still in charge. As a result, they were invited to play in the 1973 FA Charity Shield where they emerged as winners against the reigning holders of the shield, Manchester City. In the First Division, led by elegant playmaker Martin Dobson, the side managed to finish 6th in 1974 as well as reaching another FA Cup semi-final; this time losing out to Newcastle United. The following season the club achieved 10th place, despite Dobson being sold to Everton early in that season, but were victims of one of the great FA Cup shocks of all time when Wimbledon, then in the Southern League, beat Burnley 1–0 at Turf Moor. Relegation from the First Division in 1975–76 saw the end of Adamson's tenure as manager.

Three nondescript seasons in the Second Division followed before relegation to the Third Division for the first time in 1979–80. Of 42 league games, Burnley could not manage a win in either their first or last 16. Two seasons later, now under the management of Brian Miller, they were promoted as champions. However, this return was short-lived, lasting only one year; albeit a year in which the team reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and the semi-final of the League Cup, recording victories over Spurs and Liverpool in the latter, although the 1–0 win over Liverpool in the League Cup semi-final second leg was not enough for an appearance in the final as Burnley had lost the first leg 3–0.

Managerial changes continued to be made in an unsuccessful search for success; Miller was replaced by Frank Casper in early 1983, he by John Bond before the 1983–84 season and Bond himself by John Benson a season later. Benson was in charge when Burnley were relegated to the fourth level of English football for the first time ever at the end of the 1984–85 season. Martin Buchan (briefly) and then Tommy Cavanagh saw the side through the 1985–86 season before Miller returned for the 1986–87 season, the last match of which is known as 'The Orient Game'.

For the 1986–87 season, the Football League had decided to introduce automatic relegation and promotion between the Fourth Division and the Conference league, the top tier of non-league football. Although, in retrospect, this has only served to blur the lines between professional and semi-professional leagues in England, at the time it was perceived that teams losing league status might never recover from this.

Additionally, Burnley had a new local rival in Colne Dynamoes who were rapidly progressing through the English non-league system at the same time as the former champions of England were in the lowest level of the league. After a disastrous season, which also saw a first round FA Cup 3–0 defeat at non-league Telford United, Burnley went into the last match needing a win against Orient. A 2–1 win, with goals from Neil Grewcock and Ian Britton, was enough to keep Burnley in Division Four, although even that achievement still relied on a loss by Lincoln City in their last game of the season. Had Burnley been relegated, the club would have probably been dissolved.

In May 1988, Burnley were back at Wembley; this time to play Wolves in the final of the Football League Trophy. A capacity crowd of 80,000 people packed Wembley, which was a record for a match between two teams from English football's fourth tier, as Wolves won 2–0. In 1991–92, Burnley were champions in the last ever season of the Fourth Division before the league reorganisation. By winning the Fourth Division title, the Clarets became only the second club to have won all top four professional divisions of English football and the team is currently one of five clubs to have achieved this feat, along with Wolverhampton Wanderers, Preston North End, Sheffield United and Portsmouth.

Two years later they won the new Division Two play-offs and gained promotion to Division One under Jimmy Mullen. That too was as a result of a match at Wembley, this time after a fierce battle against local club Stockport County. Relegation followed after one season and in 1997–98 only a last day 2–1 victory over Plymouth Argyle ensured a narrow escape from relegation into Division Three. Chris Waddle was manager in that season, but his departure and the appointment of Stan Ternent that summer saw the club start to make further progress. In 1999–2000 they finished Division Two runners-up and gained promotion back to the second tier.

Burnley immediately made an impact, as during the 2000–01 and 2001–02 seasons, they emerged as serious contenders for a promotion play-off place. By 2002–03, the side's form had declined despite a good FA Cup run, where they reached the quarter-finals. This was repeated the following season and in June 2004, Ternent's six years as manager came to an end, narrowly avoiding relegation in his last season. Steve Cotterill was then appointed as manager of the club. Cotterill's first year in charge produced two notable cup runs, knocking out Premier League clubs Liverpool and Aston Villa, and a 13th-place finish in the Championship. He was not able to improve on this the following season, as Burnley finished 17th.

Burnley made a good start to the 2006–07 campaign, but their form tailed away badly shortly before Christmas, leaving them threatened by relegation. The squad set a club record for consecutive league games without a win, with their game against Luton Town being the 18th one of the season (19 including a cup game), meaning they had gone one fixture further than the 17 league game streak of the 1889–90 season. The sequence of draws and losses was finally broken in April, as Burnley beat Plymouth Argyle 4–0 at Turf Moor. After that, a short run of good form in the final weeks of the competition saw Burnley finish comfortably above the relegation places, ensuring that they remained in the Championship.

The following season Burnley's poor early-season results led to the departure of manager Steve Cotterill in November 2007. His replacement was St Johnstone manager Owen Coyle. Coyle subsequently led the team to a total of 62 points for the 2007–08 season, their largest total for eight years. Coyle's first full season in charge ended with the Clarets' highest league finish since 1976, fifth in the Championship. That was enough to qualify the club for the Championship play-offs. Burnley beat Reading 3–0 on aggregate in the semi-final, and the team went on to beat Sheffield United 1–0 in the final at Wembley Stadium, promoting Burnley to the Premier League, a return to the top flight after 33 years. Wade Elliott scored the vital goal in a match known as "The £50,000,000 final", due to the increased revenues available to Premiership clubs after the agreement of substantially higher TV rights payments.

Furthermore, Burnley reached the semi-final of the League Cup for the first time in over 25 years, after beating local clubs Bury and Oldham Athletic and London-based clubs Fulham, Chelsea and Arsenal. In the semi-finals they faced another London club and an old foe, Tottenham Hotspur, and Burnley lost the first leg 4–1. After being up by three goals to nil at home after 90 minutes, the Clarets crashed out after two Spurs goals in the last two minutes of extra time, preventing two Wembley appearances in one season.

Burnley's promotion made the town of Burnley the smallest to host a Premier League club, since the rebranding of the league divisions in 1992. They started the season well, becoming the first newly promoted team in the Premier League to win their first four league home games, including a 1–0 win over defending champions Manchester United. However, manager Coyle left Burnley in January 2010, to manage local rivals Bolton Wanderers. He was replaced by Brian Laws, but the club's form plummeted under the new manager, and they were relegated after a single season in the Premier League.

Laws was dismissed in December 2010 and replaced by Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe. Howe guided Burnley to an eighth-place finish in the Championship in his first season at the club, narrowly missing out on a play-off place. Nonetheless, he left the club in October 2012 to rejoin his hometown club Bournemouth; Howe citing personal reasons for the move. He was replaced in the same month by Watford manager Sean Dyche.

Before the start of the 2013–14 season, Burnley were tipped as one of the relegation candidates, as Dyche had to work with a tight budget and a small squad, and they had lost top goal scorer Charlie Austin to Championship rivals QPR. They finished second, however, and were automatically promoted back to the Premier League in Dyche's first full season in charge, as the new strike partnership of Danny Ings (who also won the Championship Player of the Year award) and Sam Vokes had 41 league goals between them. Sean Dyche only used 23 players throughout the season, which was the joint-lowest in the division, and he only paid a transfer fee for one player since his appointment — £400,000 on striker Ashley Barnes.

But yet again, their stay in the Premier League only lasted a single season as they finished 19th out of 20 clubs and were subsequently relegated. Burnley went yet one better than their previous time in the Championship and won the division in 2015–16, equaling their club record of 93 points of 2013–14, ending the season with a run of 23 league games undefeated. Dyche used just 25 players during the season this time, and new signing Andre Gray finished as the league's top goal scorer with 25 goals.

With a combination of excellent home form with poor away results, Burnley finished the 2016–17 season in 16th place, six points above the relegation zone, and were thus ensured to play consecutive seasons in the top flight for the first time since 1975–76. The following season started off with an away win to defending champions Chelsea (3–2). It was a start signal for a reversed away form, as Burnley finished the season with more points collected on the road than at home. Moreover, Burnley's home form continued to be strong too, drawing against eventual inexpugnable league champions and record breakers Manchester City (1–1).

Burnley ultimately secured an unexpected 7th place at the end of the season, their highest league finish since 1973–74, and thus qualified for the 2018–19 UEFA Europa League, meaning they qualified for a competitive European competition for the first time in 51 years. Their European tour, however, already ended in August, as they crashed out in the play-offs against Greek side Olympiacos, after they had eliminated Scottish club Aberdeen and Turkish side İstanbul Başakşehir in the previous rounds.

** – Colours / Crest – **

In the early years, various designs and colours were used by Burnley. Throughout their first eight years these were permutations of blue and white. After three years of claret and amber stripes with black shorts, for much of the 1890s a combination of black with amber stripes was used, although the club wore a shirt with pink and white stripes during the 1894–95 season. Between 1897 and 1900 the club used a plain red shirt and from 1900 until 1910 the club changed to an all green shirt with white shorts.

In 1910 the club changed their colours to claret and sky blue, the colours that they have now had for the majority of their history, save for a spell in white shirts and black shorts during the 1930s. The adoption of the claret and sky blue colour combination was an homage to league champions Aston Villa, who wore those colours. The Burnley committee and manager John Haworth believed it might bring a change of fortune.

Burnley's away kit for the 2006–07 season, a yellow shirt with claret bar, yellow shorts and yellow socks, won the Best Kit Design award at the Football League Awards. The following season, a new home kit was released, echoing the 1950s shirt; all claret with a blue v-neck and rims on the end of the arms which sport the word 'Burnley'. It featured gold trim and a new gold logo for the club's 125th anniversary. For the Championship match against Stoke City on 24 November 2007, Burnley wore a commemorative 125th anniversary shirt based on their first kit; blue and white stripes with black trim/shorts and white socks. For the 2009–10 season, the club wore a kit similar to the kit worn when Burnley won the old First Division title (i.e. what is now the Premier League title) in 1959–60, to commemorate the 50th anniversary.


The Clarets' first recorded usage of a crest was on 17 December 1887, when they wore the Prince of Wales' coat of arms on their shirt. The Prince of Wales visited Turf Moor a year before when Burnley was playing Bolton Wanderers, which was the first ever visit by a member of the Royal Family. Afterwards, Burnley were presented a set of white jerseys featuring a blue sash and embellished with the Prince of Wales' coat of arms to commemorate the visit, making the Clarets the first ever club to have the right to wear it on their shirts. The club would regularly wear the royal crest until the 1894–95 season. Twenty years later, when Burnley played the 1914 FA Cup Final and King George V was in attendance, the Royal Arms featured once again on the claret and blue shirts.

A forerunner of the club's current badge was first recorded in 1935. 25 years later, when Burnley won the league title for a second time, they were allowed to wear the town's crest of the period on their shirts. The town's crest was worn until the 1969–70 season, when it was replaced with a simple "BFC". Six years later, the initials were lettered with gold. Four seasons after that, the club used a new designed badge based on the town's crest, before returning to a horizontal version of the "BFC" initials in 1983, which were lettered in white this time. In the 1987–88 season they returned to their former, new designed crest.

The latest major change to the club crest came in the 2009–10 season. To mark Burnley's first ever season in the Premier League, since the rebranding of the First Division in 1992, and to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the club's 1959–60 First Division league title win, Burnley decided to return to the crest used in that title winning season. The following season, the town's Latin motto "Pretiumque Et Causa Laboris" (English translation: "The prize and the cause of our labour") was replaced with the inscription "Burnley Football Club".

Burnley's current badge is based on the town's crest and many components of the badge — depicting cotton, history, industry, royalty — have their origins in the history of the club, the town Burnley and surrounding areas and the components thus refer to them.

Club Mascot

The club's mascot is Bertie Bee. Dressed in a bee suit, he wears the Burnley home kit with shirt number 1882 and is popular with the Burnley fans. He became known nationwide for rugby tackling a streaker on the pitch at Turf Moor who had evaded the stewards during a match against local rivals Preston in 2002, and appeared on the BBC Television sporting panel show They Think It's All Over after the event. During the 2006–07 season, he was joined by Holland's Pies mascot Stan the Pie Man, due to a sponsorship deal. In October 2013, he again hit the headlines, this time after a top of the table clash against QPR, when he was sent off and 'jailed' after he jokingly offered the assistant referee a pair of glasses.

** – Turf Moor – **

Burnley have played their home games at Turf Moor since 1883, after playing at its original ground at Calder Vale for less than a year. Turf Moor is the longest continuously used ground of any of the 49 teams which have played in the Premier League and the second oldest continually used site for professional league football in the world, behind Preston's Deepdale. The stadium is located on Harry Potts Way, named in honour of the club's longest serving manager.

In October 1886, Turf Moor welcomed the first-ever visit by a member of the Royal Family to a first-class association football match at a senior ground, when Queen Victoria's grandson, Prince Albert Victor, was in attendance for a match between Burnley and Bolton Wanderers. In 1888, the first Football League match at Turf Moor was an encounter against the same opposition, Bolton, with Burnley emerging as 4–1 winners, Fred Poland scoring the first competitive league goal at the stadium. In 1922, the ground hosted its only FA Cup semi-final to date, between Huddersfield Town and Notts County, and five years later it hosted its only senior international match, between England and Wales for the British Home Championship.

The Turf Moor site was first used for sport in 1833, when Burnley Cricket Club was established. Fifty years later, they invited Burnley Football Club to move from their original premises at Calder Vale to a pitch adjacent to the cricket field. The ground originally consisted of just a pitch and the first grandstand was not built until 1885. It now consists of 4 stands, the James Hargreaves Stand (The Longside), the Jimmy McIlroy Stand (Bee Hole End), the Bob Lord Stand and the Ladbrokes Stand (The Cricket Field Stand) for home and away fans.

The current capacity is 21,944 all-seated. Post-World War I crowds in the stadium averaged in the 30,000–40,000 range with the record attendance set in 1924 against Huddersfield Town in a FA Cup match when 54,755 attended the match. On 23 February 1960, in a fifth round FA Cup replay against Bradford City, there was an official reported attendance of 52,850 at the Turf. Some of the gates were, however, broken down and many uncounted fans poured into the ground. Many supporters were also locked out, and the road from Bradford over the Moss at Colne had to be closed to traffic.

Until 1974, The Turf had a slight slope in the field, when chairman Bob Lord made a resolution to relay the pitch and to remove the slope. During the 1990s, the ground underwent further refurbishment when The Longside and Bee Hole End terraces were replaced by all-seater stands as a result of the Taylor Report, reducing the capacity in the process.

In 2008, plans were made to extend the stadium to a capacity of around 28,000. This capacity increase would include a second tier attached to the Bob Lord stand, along with a complete re-development of the stand. In addition, a new stand was planned to replace the Cricket Field Stand, which would also hold a cricket pavilion and hotel. In late 2008, these plans were put on hold as general economic conditions worsened in the UK.

At the end of 2017, Burnley finalised plans to develop two corners of the stadium (between the Jimmy McIlroy stand and both the James Hargreaves and Bob Lord stands) to provide better facilities for disabled supporters to meet the Accessible Stadium Guide (ASG) regulations. The plans took the spending on infrastructure at the club to around £20m in two years, including a bigger club shop and ticket office at the stadium, and a major uplift to their training centre. At the same time, however, the club concluded that "there will be no other ground developments to increase the overall capacity of Turf Moor in the short-term, unless an increase in demand for seats forces a re-think."


** – Facilities – **

Buying Tickets

To ensure that the club treats everyone fairly and to enable them to take the particular circumstances of their disabled supporters into account when allocating seats, the club requires all applicants for seating which has been allocated for the specific use of disabled supporters, to produce confirmation of their entitlement to one of the following:

  • •Receipt of the mid-rate care element or the high-rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or Personal Independence Payments (PIP).
  • •Receipt of either the Severe Disablement Allowance or Attendance Allowance.
  • •War Pensioners’ Mobility Allowance or War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability.
  • •Blind or partially sighted registration certificate (BD8 or CVI Certificate) or evidence from an eye specialist, for example an optometrist, that the individual would qualify to be registered as severely sight impaired (blind) or sight impaired (partially sighted).
  • •Confirmation in writing from Social Services that the individual is included on their Deaf Register, or a letter or report from an aural specialist confirming that hearing loss has been recorded at 70 – 95 dBHL or worse.

  • •Confirmation in writing from Social Services that the individual has a learning difficulty or disability. This may include Proof of Registration with Social Services, or if not on the Local Authority Register, a letter from a doctor or support worker confirming that the individual has a difficulty in learning new skills, or may be unable to cope independently. For children – a letter from the head teacher at a specialist school confirming eligibility will be acceptable.
  • Reference throughout this guide to a ‘disabled supporter’ is a reference to a person who can provide this confirmation. Please note the club reserves the right to periodically check that an applicant remains eligible.

    Personal Assistants

    Supporters receiving the medium or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), and/or standard or enhanced rate care component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment) will be entitled to a free match ticket for their personal assistant to accompany them on match days.

    Please note, the club reserves the right to request evidence to support this where necessary and require the disabled supporter and their PA to enter the ground and sit together. Seats for personal assistants are located next to the disabled supporter’s seat. Disabled supporters who attend in a wheelchair must remain in their wheelchair during the game.

    Purchasing Your Ticket

    Disabled supporters of Burnley Football Club should contact the Ticket Office on 01282 446800 (option 2), or visit the ticket office in person to purchase tickets for all Burnley FC fixtures. They would ask that, wherever possible, you detail the nature of your disability so that they are able to assist your purchase in an informed manner and to offer you seats most suited to your requirements (subject to availability).

    The main ticket office is located to the back of the Turf Moor club shop, and operates from 9.15am – 5pm Monday to Friday, 9.15am – kick off during match days and 9.15am – 12.30pm on non-match day Saturdays. The ticket office is closed during non-match day Sundays. There is a lowered counter available at the ticket office.

    Disabled Seating

  • Wheelchair Users.
  • Turf Moor currently has 35 wheelchair user spaces, plus seating for assistants beside each wheelchair bay. The wheelchair bays are positioned at pitch level. There are three accessible entrances at Turf Moor, situated at the David Fishwick away fan entrance (B1), on the corner of the Bob Lord and Jimmy McIlroy stand next to the Ticket Office (B4) and finally the corner of the Jimmy McIlroy and James Hargreaves stand next to the FanZone (E1).
  • Ambulant supporters.
  • Ambulant Disabled supporters can sit anywhere in the ground providing they are able to access the area subject to safety requirements. If you feel as though you have any further requirements regarding your seat, please let them know at the point of purchase as they will try to accommodate accordingly.
  • Deaf or hard of hearing supporters.
  • On match days at Turf Moor, information will be carried on the electronic scoreboard and via the Public Address System.
  • Blind or partially sighted supporters.
  • Complimentary headsets are provided to disabled supporters at Turf Moor upon request.
  • Learning difficulties and unseen disabilities.
  • Supporters are able to sit anywhere they choose, subject to availability. If, for any reason, any supporter with learning difficulties or unseen disabilities feels they have more specific seating requirements they should contact the club to discuss their requirements in more detail. Every effort will be made to accommodate such requests, subject to availability. Requests for personal assistants will be given due consideration and where provided, supporters will be required to complete a Personal Assistant Registration Form or provide evidence of receiving middle or high rate of care and/or high rate of mobility or enhanced/standard rate of PIP.

    You can download or view their current Stadium Map by clicking here.

    Accessible Club Shop

    The Club Store (Clarets Store at Turf Moor) can get extremely busy on a Match Day. If you require a quieter period on a Match Day we would recommend at least 2 hours before kick-off. Non-match days are considerably quieter. •The access is level into the Clarets Store •There is level access to the counter from the entrance. •There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter. •Unfortunately, there is no lowered counter section. •Staff are available to help. •A managed queuing system is used on match day.

    Accessible Toilets.

    There are two accessible toilets at Turf Moor. These are situated at the accessible entrance to the David Fishwick stand (B1) and the accessible entrance to the Bob Lord and Jimmy McIlroy stand (B4).

    Assistance Dogs.

    Any supporter wishing to attend Turf Moor with an assistance dog must contact the club on 01282 446800 or email so that they can ensure the appropriate match tickets (subject to availability) are allocated and adequate arrangements have been made.

    Accessible Catering.

    Wheelchair users are able to order food and drink from our representative kiosk staff. Staff will be present to take orders before the game and at half time. Food and drink will be delivered to the seat approx. 15 minutes after the order has been placed or at the start of half-time if ordered beforehand. Cash is paid on delivery. In line with the Ground Regulations, there will be no alcohol served in these locations.

    Accessible Hospitality.

    Disabled supporters are able to enjoy hospitality at Turf Moor. To find out more about which hospitality package will suit your needs most, please contact or call 01282 446800 (option 4).

    Disabled Car Parking.

    Parking facilities for disabled supporters are available at Turf Moor. They have a high demand for parking spaces at the ground, and therefore spaces are only allocated to those who book prior to the game. Please note that they do charge for car parking spaces. To book please call 01282 446800 (option 0) or email

    Temporary Mobility Restrictions.

    Supporters suffering from temporary mobility restrictions that may affect their access to Turf Moor must contact the club ahead of the match so that alternative seating can be arranged (subject to availability).

    Accessible Matchday Programme.

    The Match Day programme is available for download. If using an apple device search for ‘Burnley FC MDP’ in the app store, or CLICK HERE. If you are using an android device search 'Burnley FC Programmes' in the Play Store or CLICK HERE.


    ** – Getting to Turf Moor – **

    From the East

    Exit M65 at junction 12 and follow signs to 'Burnley North A682,' over two roundabouts and into Colne Road. After 1.5 miles, turn left at the lights into Casterton Avenue. After another half mile, go straight on at another roundabout, follow signs for 'Rochdale A6114,' into Eastern Avenue. After 1.5 miles, you will be on Belvedere Road and the stadium is there.

    From the West

    Exit M65 motorway at junction 9 (Signposted Halifax A679) and turn right at the first roundabout, over the motorway. Go to the second roundabout and take a left, still following signs for Halifax and onto Accrington Road. After ¾ of a mile, go right at the traffic lights into Rossendale Road. Follow for another 1.5 miles and then go straight on through the traffic lights into Glen View Road. After another mile, turn left into Todmorden Road, where you will find Turf Moor at the foot of the hill.

    From the North and South

    Exit M6 at Junction 29 and onto the M65. Exit the M65 at junction 10 and follow signs for 'Towneley Hall.' This road eventually goes past Turf Moor.

    By Train

    The nearest station is Burnley Manchester Road, which is approximately a 15-minute walk from Turf Moor. From the station, exit the station and walk down Centenary Way, from where Turf Moor can be seen. When you reach the roundabout at the end of the road, turn right onto Yorkshire Street, which becomes Harry Potts Way. The ground is on your left-hand side.

    Burnley Central train station is approximately a 20-minute walk. From the station follow signs for the town centre and then head left towards the ‘Gala’ Bingo Hall. From here, walk down Yorkshire Street, which becomes Harry Potts way. The ground is on your left-hand side.

    By Bus

    The Bus Station is situated relatively close to the ground, approximately a 5-minute walk, just off Centenary Way. Leave the station and head towards the Gala Bingo Hall opposite. Use the underground footpath and then head under the aqueduct onto Yorkshire Street and follow the instructions from above.

    Stadium Tours.

    Have you ever wondered just what goes on behind the scenes at Turf Moor and what lurks under the David Fishwick Stand? How about what the view is like from the Directors' Box? Maybe even make the spine-tingling journey from the new state-of-the-art home dressing room and down the players' tunnel? Well, Burnley Football Club is now offering you the chance to do exactly that, plus a whole lot more, with one of our exclusive stadium tours.

    Tour days are on Thursdays and non-match Saturdays and advance notification is required for all bookings. A warm welcome awaits you as you experience the magic of Turf Moor. Each trip lasts approximately 90 minutes and gives you a look behind the scenes at your favourite footballing venue. The stadium tour covers many areas including:

  • •1882 Lounge.
  • •Chairman's Lounge.
  • •Trophy room.
  • •Hospitality areas.
  • •Dug outs.
  • •Players' tunnel.
  • •Home dressing room.
  • •Police cells.
  • All areas are, of course, subject to availability. Prices are just £10 for adults and £5 for juniors (under 16's), who must be accompanied by an adult. To guarantee your place and your chance to tour Turf Moor, please call 01282 700001 and speak to Veronica.


    Location : Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10 4BX

    Transport: Burnley Manchester Road (National Rail) then 15 minutes or bus (959) OR Burnley Central (National Rail) then 20 minutes. Bus Routes: 4, 589, 592, 872 and 959 stop at the stadium.

    Capacity : 21,944

    Tel: 01282 446800