St. Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel was opened in 1871 in Breckfield Road North, Everton, Liverpool. The chapel took its name from St. Domingo Road, formerly St. Domingo Lane, Everton which in turn took its name from St. Domingo House, a building built in 1758 by West Indies trader and sugar boiler George Campbell who would frequent the Colony of Santo Domingo and later became Mayor of Liverpool (1763). St. Domingo House was named after the Spanish Colony which in turn was named after Saint Dominic. Six years later, Rev. Ben Swift Chambers was appointed Minister. He created a cricket team for the youngsters in the area but, as cricket was only played in summer, there was room for another sport during winter. Thus a football club called St. Domingo F.C. was formed in 1878. Many people not attending the chapel were interested in joining the football club so it was decided that the name should be changed. In November 1879 at a meeting in the Queen's Head Hotel, the team name was changed to Everton Football Club, after the surrounding area. Barker and Dobson, a local sweet manufacturer, introduced "Everton Mints" to honour the club. The district is also the location of the team's crest image, Everton Village Lock-up locally nicknamed Prince Rupert's Tower. Everton originally played on an open pitch in the southeast corner of the newly laid out Stanley Park, the same site for the once proposed new Liverpool F.C. stadium. The first official match under the name Everton F.C. took place in 1879 against St. Peters with a 5-0 win. John Houlding's house backed onto the park and was attracted to the club that attracted large crowds. Professional clubs required proper enclosed facilities. In 1882, a Mr J. Cruit donated land at Priory Road which became the club's home for two years, with proper hoarding and turnstiles. Mr Cruit asked the club to leave his land as the crowds became far too large and noisy.
Everton moved to nearby Anfield in 1884, renting from John Orrell, a friend of Houlding. Proper covered stands were built. Houlding bought Anfield one year after Everton moved in, Everton initially making a donation to a local hospital in lieu of rent before paying rent to their own president. Within seven years of moving to Anfield the club had converted the ground from a brick field to a 20,000 plus international standard ground with accommodation on all sides. The club rose from amateur to professional, hosting an international match, England vs. Ireland, founder members of the Football League and winning their first title. The 1890–91 season started in superb form with five straight victories, with Fred Geary scoring in each of the first six matches. By mid-January, Everton had completed all but one of their fixtures and were on 29 points, while Preston North End were eleven points adrift with seven games still to play. Everton than had to sit out the next two months as Preston completed their fixture list until they were only two points adrift with one match each left to play. Both teams played their final games of the season on 14 March, with Everton losing 3–2 at Burnley (Geary scored both Everton goals) and Preston going down 3–0 at Sunderland. Everton were thus able to win the Football League Championship for the first time, by a margin of two points with fourteen victories from their 22 league games. Geary had been ever-present, and was the club's top goal-scorer with 21 goals.
After winning the league for the first time, the Everton Committee and President John Houlding became embroiled in deep and bitter conflict. Houlding originally rented Anfield from the Orrell family and sublet to Everton FC. In 1885 Houlding bought the land from Orrel and rented directly to Everton FC. The Liberal-leaning committee viewed Tory councillor Houlding as having a personal financial and political agenda and there was disagreement over the club's business model and the issue of selling refreshments, to which Houlding had sole rights. Houlding had increased the club's rent by 150% after the 1889–90 season to £250 per annum. John Orrell, who owned the adjacent land, then attempted to legally run a road through the new main stand to access his land. This would require Everton to buy both Anfield and Orrell's land or to rent both. Everton committee members accused Houlding of knowing of the legal right of way and allowing the new stand to be built. The committee wanted Houlding to negotiate on the combined Anfield and Orrell's land rent of £370 or the purchase of both, but were told the rental fee was non-negotiable. Houlding refused to give Everton FC a contractual rental lease. Houlding attempted to hijack the club by registering another company, Everton F.C. and Athletic Grounds, Ltd.in March 1892. Everton were still occupying and playing at Anfield, Houlding sought to take over Everton's fixtures and position in the Football League. The Football Council would not recognise Houlding's new company as Everton, resulting in his changing the name to Liverpool F.C. and Athletic Grounds Ltd in June 1892, creating Liverpool F.C.. The distrust between Houlding and the Everton Committee resulted in Everton abandoning their substantial ground at Anfield and moving to Goodison Park on the north side of Stanley Park. Everton played their last match at Anfield on 18 April 1892 vs. Bolton Wanderers.
There are three accessible entrances available to wheelchair supporters at Goodison Park, all of which offer ground level access to wheelchair viewing facilities. Entrance 1 – Gwladys Street – Goodison Place, Entrance 2 – Park end – Exit gate 2 Goodison Road, Entrance 3 – Bullens Road- Ramp gate adjacent to Park stand and Bullens Road. All three entrances are clearly signed with the accessible wheelchair symbol. Please let them know, when purchasing tickets, if you will be accompanied by an assistance dog when attending matches. There is no allocated seating for visually impaired supporters and they may therefore sit (subject to availability) in their preferred area of Goodison Park. As with any football stadium, the upper tiers of Goodison Park are very steep and they would therefore discourage any supporter who would be unable to exit the Stadium quickly in the event of an emergency, from purchasing tickets in any upper tiers. Headsets are available on request, to request a headset please contact on Brendan.firstname.lastname@example.org or 0151 530 5396. Everton Disabled Supporters Association (EDSA) is a supporters group formed in 1995. The group work alongside Everton Football Club to improve the facilities for disabled supporters at Goodison Park ensuring they have a positive matchday experience by providing constant feedback to the Club. The EDSA membership is open to all disabled supporters and there is a £10 seasonal membership fee to join. There is no museum at the ground but there are stadium tours, Legend tours and Sunday lunch + Tours.
Location : Goodison Rd, Liverpool, Merseyside L4 4EL
Transport: Kirkdale (National) 1 mile. Sandhills (MerseyRail) Soccer Bus on match days. Bus routes 19/19A, 20, 21, 130*, 210*, 250* or 68 and 168 (from Bootle) stop close by. * evenings and Sunday only
Capacity : 40,157.
Legends Tours : Click here for Dates.
Stadium Tours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 11:00 & 13:00; Sunday 11:00, 13:30, 15:30. Excluding match days.
Lunch + Tour : Sunday 13 March, Sunday 10 April, Sunday 8 May, Sunday 19 June (Father's Day)
Tickets Lunch + Tour: Adults £29.95. Children £14.95
Tickets Legends Tour: Adults £20.00. Children £10.00
Tickets Stadium Tour: Adults £12.00. Children £6.00
Tel: 0871 663 1878