The East Anglian Railway Museum is located at Chappel and Wakes Colne railway station in Essex, which is situated on the former Great Eastern Railway branch line from Marks Tey to Sudbury. The museum has a wide collection of locomotives and rolling stock, some of which are fully restored, two are converted into Thomas and Toby replicas while others are undergoing repair and restoration. The Restoration Shed was built in 1983–4, before which most work had to take place in the Goods Shed or in the open. On event days, steam or diesel train rides are operated over a short demonstration track. The museum also plays host to three popular annual events: the Winter Beer Festival held each February the Cider Festival held each June, and the Summer Beer Festival held each September. During the festivals, additional late-evening trains on the Sudbury Branch Line allow festival-goers to return home by train subject to provision by the train operation companies.
The museum has a collection of industrial steam locomotives, in various states of repair. Operational: Bagnall 0-4-0ST outside cylinder Works No. 2542 "Jubilee" built in 1936. Returned to traffic in April 2007 after an 18 month overhaul and now used regularly on steam services, painted lined green to partially represent Percy from Thomas the Tank Engine. Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST outside cylinder Works No. 1047 "Storefield" built in 1905, painted lined light brown. RSH 0-6-0ST inside cylinder No. 54 "Pen Green" built in 1941. (Works No. 7031) Back in public service on 21 March 2008 following conversion into a Thomas the Tank Engine look-alike. Under overhaul: W.G. Bagnall 0-6-0ST outside cylinder Works No. 2670 Lamport No.3. Built in 1942. Arrived at the East Anglian Railway Museum in March 2013 from the Battlefield Line Railway. Painted dark green, lined-out in red and yellow. The locomotive will need new boiler tubes and a new firebox. Awaiting overhaul or on Static Display: London North Eastern Railway class N7 0-6-2T inside cylinder No. 7999 (BR No. 69621) "A J Hill " Built in 1924, currently on site. Peckett and Sons 0-4-0ST outside cylinder Works No. 2039 "Jeffrey", built in 1943. Currently on static display outside the museum entrance, painted black, lined-out in red and white.
The museum has a collection of industrial diesel locomotives. Operational: Drewry 0-4-0 War Department no. D72229; Operational and on hire from Andrew Briddon Locos due to class 04 overhaul. Painted in Army Green and now a regular on shunting and some passenger duties. Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 Works No.333 "John Peel" - Operational but only used occasionally due to lack of electric start. Painted blue. Under restoration: John Fowler 0-4-0DH Works No. 4220039 7 "Toby". Under overhaul and normally used as a 'Toby' for Thomas the Tank Engine events, has even got a Henrietta coach. Painted brown and grey. British Rail Class 04 0-6-0DM D2279. Under overhaul off site. Painted unlined black. Stored awaiting restoration: Simplex 0-4-0 No. 2029. Painted black.
In addition two Class 101 DMU cars are in operation at the museum. A British Rail Class 306 unit 017 was transferred to the museum in mid-2011 for a four-year loan period from the National Railway Museum. The unit is normally positioned so the public are able to access the vehicle. Disabled access is available to all Museum buildings, you will however need a vehicle to gain full access to both sides of the museum – a step footbridge joins both halves across a working railway line. The Goods Shed, Heritage Centre and Restoration Shed are wheelchair accessible. Disabled toilets are available at reception and adjacent to the Restoration Shed (event days only). Big button telephones are located throughout the site. You can use these to listen to audio recordings on a range of topics. Assistance dogs are welcome. The Museum's 7 1/4 inch miniature railway is open on most event days, please double-check availability with the Museum Reception if specifically visiting to ride the miniature railway. They also offer a "driver for a fiver" experience which is your chance to drive the electric locomotive. 10% discount for visitors arriving by train.
Location : Chappel and Wakes Colne Station, Wakes Colne, Essex, CO6 2DS
Transport: Chappel and Wakes Colne (Greater Anglia). Bus Routes : 88 and 88A stop nearby.
Opening Times : Daily 10:00 to 16:30
Tickets: Adults £6.00; Seniors £5.00; Children (4 - 15) £3.00
Tickets Events Days: Adults £9.00; Seniors £8.00; Children (4 - 15) £4.50
Tel: 01206 242524