This was the first donation to the National Trust of it's kind (in 1942). The estate was owned by the Fenwick family from 1475 until their financial problems caused them to sell their properties to the Blacketts. The hall house was rebuilt in 1688 around the ancient pele tower house for Sir William Blackett and was later substantially rebuilt again, in Palladian style, for Sir Walter Blackett by architect Daniel Garret, before passing to the Trevelyan family in 1777. Charles Philips Trevelyan inherited the property from his father George Otto Trevelyan in 1928. After Pauline Jermyn married the naturalist Sir Walter Calverley Trevelyan, they began hosting literary and scientific figures at the Hall. As a cultural centre, Wallington visitors included the members of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. Alongside the beautifully furnished interior, attractions inside the house include the desk where Thomas Babington Macaulay, brother-in-law of the notorious Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan, wrote his History of England, a large collection of antique dollshouses and eight murals in the central hall depicting the history of Northumberland, painted by William Bell Scott.
Lancelot 'Capability' Brown was a local boy who made good – born at Kirkharle, just two miles away from Wallington, Brown went to school in the estate village of Cambo and his daily walk to school took him through the rolling farmland of the Wallington estate. Despite his relatively humble beginnings, Brown left Northumberland in 1739 and went on to become England’s most sought-after landscape gardener, designing gardens for the wealthiest and most influential patrons in the country, including the King and six Prime Ministers. However, the landscape around Wallington, Brown’s home for over twenty years and one he would have been intimately familiar with, would surely have influenced him – perhaps the naturalistic designs he became so famous for were inspired by the natural beauty of his home county? Brown maintained a close connection with Northumberland throughout his life and is thought to have regularly visited his family, who remained in this area. His association with the Wallington estate seems to have continued too as his older brother George Brown worked as a stone mason for Wallington’s then owner, Sir Walter Calverley Blackett, all his life. Brown also worked in the county, producing designs for the 1st Duke of Northumberland at Alnwick Castle in the late 1760s. Designated mobility parking in main car park. Adapted toilet in courtyard, cafe and house. 1 single-seater PMV and 1 electric buggy available, booking essential. Wheelchairs available to borrow in the house and grounds, booking recommended. Mobility parking available at the walled garden - please ask at visitor reception. Ramped entrance to house. Level access around ground floor with lift to first floor. Additional flight of stairs up to Cabinet of Curiosities. Partly accessible grounds as there are some steep slopes, loose gravel or uneven woodland paths and steps.
Location : B6342, Cambo, near Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 4AR
Transport: Morpeth (National Rail) then bus. Bus route 419 stops close nearby
Opening Times: Daily 12:00 to 17:00
Tickets: Adults £11.80 Children £5.90
Tel: 01670 773600