The museum is a branch of the National Railway Museum (NRM), headquartered at York, which is part of the Science Museum Group. The museum is arranged as stops along the 1 km demonstration line with station direction board signs and information points on the trail between the car parks and the main collection building. The museum has a six-spur apron in front of the main shed and another short length of track for showing off resident locomotives and visiting trains. The trail starts at the 19th-century welcome building. The original Sans Pareil is on display here. The second building is Timothy Hackworth's house. It contains several activities about the history of Shildon. Soho is a stone building that was a railway workshop, having originally been an iron merchant’s store. The fourth stop is the former goods shed for the town, with most incoming and outgoing goods being delivered to the railway by horse and cart. The building is built partially from recycled stone sleeper blocks, the old fixing slots being visible in the wall.As private vehicles are not allowed beyond here for the 750-yard journey to the Collection a courtesy link bus, the Eco Bus, runs from near here on its 15-minute sequence.
The railway station's parcel office is the next part of the trail and at the junction, visible across the tracks are the former stables for the early horse-drawn wagonways that linked to the line. The coal drops were a refuelling point for steam locomotives. Wagons were hauled up an incline and the coal 'dropped' down wooden chutes into the tender below. The trail passes under the roadway, and the Eco Bus route crosses on to the museum's rail line for a short distance. There is a children's playground for children and a picnics outside the Collection building. The trail ends at the largest building in the museum. It contains the exhibition hall and a conservation workshop with viewing gallery to see the work carried out by volunteers restoring some of the exhibits. he museum is home to several locomotives from the National Collection, including a replica of Timothy Hackworth's Sans Pareil. The original engine, built to compete in the Rainhill Trials, is also at Shildon. The trials were to decide which engine should operate the passenger railway between Liverpool and Manchester. There is an 1891 Snow Plough as well as the NER No.1, electric, 1903, LMS Hughes Crab, LNWR Cornwall and LSWR T3 class No. 563. Free parking spaces are available at a designated car park beside the Collection building. Free car parking on site. The Museum is fully wheelchair accessible, however it is a partially open-air site and occasionally it may be necessary to use outdoor footpaths up to 1km in length in order to access all of our buildings. Wheelchair-accessible toilet facilities in all areas are equipped with handrails and emergency cords. Only support dogs allowed.
Location : Dale Road Industrial Estate, Shildon DL4 2RE
Transport: Shildon (National Rail) 3 minutes. Arriva Services number 1 (from Darlington) and number 5 (from Bishop Auckland) stop on Dale Road, just outside Locomotion.
Opening Times: Daily 10:00 to 17:00.
Tel: 01388 777999