A fine Tudor mansion. The land on which the house stands has been in the possession of the de Hoghton family from at least the 12th century. The family descends from Harvey de Walter, who was a companion of William the Conqueror, and the name de Hoghton was assumed in 1150. The present building dates from about 1560–65, and was built for Thomas de Hoghton, replacing an earlier house on or near the same site. It has been suggested that the property has links to William Shakespeare through Alexander Hoghton who died in 1581. King James I stayed in the house for three days in 1617. In 1643 the house was damaged by Parliamentary forces during the Civil War, and in 1692–1702 Sir Charles de Hoghton carried out repairs and rebuilding. The family ceased to live in the house from 1768, and it was rented to local farmers. It was derelict by the middle of the 19th century. Sir Henry de Hoghton, the 9th Baronet, inherited the estate in 1862 and decided to restore the house. It is not known who carried out the earlier part of the restoration, but by 1876 the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin were involved, having carried out work on rooms including the banqueting hall. Sir Henry died in 1876, and restoration work was continued by his brother, Charles, the 10th Baronet, although the house was not ready for him to take up residence until 1880. By that time Paley and Austin had restored the gateway tower and the adjacent walls (1877), designed an entrance lodge (1878), carried out work on the offices in the east wing, built a new kitchen, a new underground service corridor, and made other alterations (1879–80). Further work on the stables and farm buildings was carried out by the Blackburn-based architect James Bertwistle. Sir Charles died in 1893, and from 1896 to 1901 the London architect Robert Dudley Oliver added nursery accommodation, a smoking room, a billiards room and a large drawing room (later used as the ballroom).
Hoghton Tower is constructed in sandstone, with stone slate roofs. It has a double courtyard plan, the outer courtyard being entered on the west side through a large gatehouse. The gatehouse is embattled and in two storeys, with a central tower rising by more than one additional storey. Above its archway is a 16th-century cartouche containing a carving of Samson and the Lion. On each side of the gateway, embattled walls lead to square corner pavilions, which are also embattled. Buildings of differing dates stand on the north and south sides of the outer courtyard. This is in two levels, the eastern part being higher than the western. Between the two levels is a wall, and steps leading up to a gateway with 18th-century wrought iron gates between gate piers. In the northeast corner of the courtyard is a 17th-century well house, which stands on the traditional site of the original tower that was destroyed in the Civil War. The inner courtyard has a west gateway, a great hall and kitchen on the north side, state rooms on the east, and living rooms on the south and west sides; it is mainly in two storeys. On the east side of the house is a walled garden, known as the Wilderness, and on the south side are smaller walled gardens, the Rose Garden and the Rampart Garden. The Great Barn is constructed in sandstone with a slate roof, and incorporates a carthouse. It is dated 1692, and has ball finials on its gables. To the northwest of the house are the coach house and stables, also in sandstone, and dating from the 17th or early 18th century. There is a wonderful dolls-house collection at the house. Venture along underground passages and peer into the dungeons and Tudor Well House of the reputedly third most haunted house in Britain. Guided tours cover the main rooms of historical interest within the house. This entails several staircases, with handrails, to access the first floor and underground passages. Surfaces range from uneven stone to smooth marble and polished wood floors, with occasional steps where room levels change.
Location : Hoghton, North Preston, Lancashire PR5 0SH
Transport: Pleasington (Northern Rail)
Opening Times: May to November.Sunday to Thursday 11:00 to 17:00
Tickets: Adults £10.00 Concessions £8.00 Children £8.00
Grounds only : £2.20
Tel: 01254 852986