This beautifully conserved dwelling and byre in Glen Lochay, near Killin, offers a unique insight into rural life in 19th-century and early 20th century Scotland. There are 5 jointed and pegged cruck couples, two of which can be viewed easily in the byre end of the house. The roof was originally thatched but this was raked back in the 1940s and covered with corrugated tin. Practically unchanged since it was last lived in, this historic cruck-framed cottage still has many of its original features, including a 'hingin' lum', Scotch dresser and box beds. There are also surviving layers of early 20th century wallpaper, some of which have been separated and displayed.
Some of the contents of the house are original, and others were chosen for authenticity, based on archaeological evidence and the personal recollections of people who knew the Robertson family that lived here until 1968. As well as the Longhouse itself, you can also see an exhibition in the Display Hut next door that contains examples of clothes found in the house, some archaeological finds, and information, documents and photographs on the building's history and restoration. The Display Hut was previously a tool store for the farm.
People have lived and worked in this area for thousands of years – there's archaeological evidence of settlers here going back to Neolithic times. The first time the name Moirlanich appeared on maps though was in Roy’s Military Survey of Scotland (1745-1755), where it appears as a circular group of seven buildings, possibly a ‘fermtoun’. These would have been turf-walled buildings, rather than stone, but probably still using cruck frames. The Robertsons lived at Moirlanich from at least 1809 – when they first appeared in tenant records – until 1968, when the last family member died. From the early 19th century the settlement is listed as Easter Moirlanich and there is also a Wester Moirlanich. At Easter Moirlanich there are three cottages until the mid-19th century. The ruined gable end of one cottage can still be seen.
The reception building is accessible to wheelchair users, but, unfortunately, the longhouse is not. A disabled toilet is available. Assistance dogs are welcome.
Location : Moirlanich Longhouse, Glen Lochay, Killin, Central FK21 8UA
Transport: Crianlarich (National Rail) 20 miles. Bus Routes : No bus service.
Opening Times: Wednesday and Sunday, 1st May - 30th September, 14:00 to 17:00
Tickets : Adults £3.50; Concession £2.50; Child £2.50
Tel. : 01567 820988