Based in the centre of Elgin (the capital of Morayshire, close to the Cooper Park), Moray Motor Museum is housed in a light and airy old mill building, part of which dates back to the era of the Cathedral when the Bishops of Moray ruled Moravia, and was used by them as a grain mill. The Moray Motor Museum houses a superb collection of veteran, vintage, classic cars and motorbikes. Most of which are on the button ready to go. Added to this are the model cars and automobilia which make this a fascinating visit. Some of the cars are available as Wedding Cars so you could make this a joint visit.
The cars on display include: 1904 Speedwell - Bodied by Chapman's of Inverness for Culloden House and was subsequently used as a taxi in Sutherland, climbing the very steep Berrydael Braes on occassion. Never outside Scotland except for 3 successful Brighton Races. Still in very original condition. Powered by a 2 cylinder engine. Can reach 45mph, preferably downhill with a tail wind. 1910 Daimler Tourer - Engine: 2.1L 4 cylinder, Output: 16 bhp, Top Speed: 45 mph. This car was supplied by Daimler as a rolling chassis and was delivered new to the Chrisite family of Blackhills near Elgin. The family commissioned a coachbuilders by the name of Shinnie of Aberdeen who built what you see today. The family had the vehicle up to 1939 where it appears to have been left to die and was towed to the local scrapyard. It was rescued from there by two Polish airmen and the car was completely restored and covered 60,000 miles in 45 years of ownership. The vehicle was brought back to Elgin in 1995 and at that point when they first started the engine they realised just how quiet it is with its rather unusual wet sleeve linered engine.
1921 Regent Sports 7 h.p. (actually a motor bike) - Frame No 16 - One of only two known survivors. Engine - Coventry Victor 688cc Flat Twin - No 5-556. First Registered 7th June, 1921, RS 3466, in Aberdeen to a Mr Cecil A. Ewing. Gearbox - Sturmey Archer three speed No CS46289L. Magneto - Thomson Bennett Type AM No.106/5C. 1929 Bentley 4.5 Litre. Engine: 4398cc, Output: 110 bhp, 0 - 60: 10 seconds, Top Speed: 100 mph. The 1920's saw a change in ideas on chauffeurs and their importance and on the 'type of car one would own'. This change saw owners and keen affluent drivers see Bentley as the sporty Rolls Royce. Right from the start the 3 litre was setting a new standard in performance and they swept the boards in motor sport. The engine sizes grew up to an almighty 8 litre with speeds being achieved of 140mph in the mid 20's. This car is the 4.5 litre model believed to be the finest road car of the 20's Bentley's for its mix of power and handling. Originally bodied by Harrison as an open tourer the car is quite a short example and with the 40 gallon tank has a long range. They know the car ended up in Argentina and only returned to the UK in 1989 when the museum acquired the car and since them it has been extensively restored.
1929 Rolls Royce Phantom I. Engine: 7500cc, Output: 90 bhp, 0 - 60: 16 secondss, Top Speed: 90 mph. The twenties was a very prosperous period for Rolls Royce with coach builders making some very unusual and bespoke bodies. At this time 70% of Rolls Royce were destined for the Middle East, and that is where this particular car went, with the company 'Park Ward' who were commissioned to build a hunting car for a wealthy Maharajah. The design incorporates fold away seats in the rear to allow standing position and a lockable gun case in the back, it also has two very large spotlights that mount either side of the windscreen for picking out tigers at night. 1936 Jaguar SS 100. Engine: 3485cc, Output: 180 bhp, 0 - 60: 7.5 seconds, Top Speed: 140 mph approx. BWK 77 or, as it is more comonly known 'Old No.8' due to it's chassis number, was the first racing car from Jaguar. Althoughit ran to start with as a private entry in the 1936 Alpine Rally, which it won, the car was seen to be a great advertisement so was adopted by Jaguar and ran as a 'works car' pre and post war until the advent of the XK120. This car started as a standard car and over the years lost its wings and had a lightened chassis and even had a supercharger fitted. It raced and won at venues such as Brooklands, Shelsey Walsh Prescott and has recently competed at Goodwood. The museum is currently developing a supercharged engine for the car with the intention to achieve 250bhp minimum from this ultra-lightweight car.
Frazer Nash BMW 32. Engine: Bristol 2 litre Straight Six. Output: 80 bhp, 0 - 60: 12 seconds, Top Speed: 100 mph. With its small dimensions and radical aerodynamic shape the car was competitive in all types of track events with its adjustable torsion abr suspension, the car is considered to be the finest all round pre-war sports car. This particular car was supplied by the agents in Glasgow to a keen motoring enthusiast from East Lothian and he competed with the car all over the UK. As you will notice the windscreen was changed in the early 50's and the car has since been known as the flat screen 328. Lagonda V12 - 1954 Ex Le-Mans. Engine V12 = 375BHP, Top Speed = 180 mph. Rescued from a lock-up in Birmingham some 25 years ago and restored over a period of 20 years, this Lagonda ran at Le Mans, lying 12th prior to damaging the rear quarter and unable to continue at night with no road lights. The V12 original engine was located in a Jensen 541 and since completion has competed at Le Mans (retired with a puncture) and had 2 wonderful victories at Goodwood including the prestigious Spirit of Goodwood Award.
Jensen 541R - 1959. Engine: 4000cc, Output: 150 bhp, 0 - 60: 10 seconds, Top Speed: 125 mph. Jensen had realised that there was a large market for rapid four seater GT cars. They kept costs down during production by using the powerful Austin engine and had carried out a lot of development with the fibre glass bodywork. It was an instant success with the light weight and torque combined. This particular car being an 'R' model had further developments made to it, the main difference being the rack and pinion steering which sharpened up the cars handling together with the fact it was the first car to have disc brakes all round. The museum acquired this car as a true barn find and spent several years putting it back to arguably better than new condition. 1963 Tojeiro Ford. Engine: 4700cc, Output: 400 bhp+, 0-60: 2.5 seconds, Top Speed: 180 mph. This car was built in 1963 by Ecurie Ecosse first with a Buick engine and then changed to a Ford V8 in 1964. The car was probably the first that the then young Jackie Stewart would have driven as a professional driver, and recorded successes at venues such as Brands Hatch and Silverstone. Unfortunately the Scottish team was struggling for finances and the cars development was cut short and its potential was never fully realised. The vehicle was modified by cutting off the roof completely and no extra strength was added. Now called the 'Spider' it was driven by Bill Stein who had a high speed accident and miraculously survived the horrific crash. The museum rescued the car in the late 80's and it has undergone a full restoration and development program, and now competes in regular events around the UK.
Free parking available, as well as freshly cooked meals or simple tea and homebakes in their restaurant. The site and museum are fully wheelchair accessible. The visitor may touch many of the cars as well as hear that wonderful sound so beloved by the motoring enthusiast. Assistance dogs are welcome.
Location : Moray Motor Museum, Bridge St, Elgin IV30 4DE
Transport: Elgin (ScotRail) then bus (30). Bus Routes : 30, 32, 33A and 33C stop nearby.
Opening Times : Easter Bank Holiday weekend through to end of October School Holidays, Daily 11:00 to 17:00
Tickets : Adults £6.00; Seniors £5.00; Children (5 - 14) £2.50
Tel. : 0343 544 933