Dover Museum

Dover Museum

Bronze Age Boat

Bronze Age Boat

Dover Museum is one of the oldest museums in Kent. Founded in February 1836 by the town's mayor Edward Pett Thompson, it was initially housed in the old Guildhall and run by the Dover Philosophical Institute. The Town Council (predecessor of Dover District Council) formally took it over 12 years later, constructing a new building to house it and the town's market, in Market Square. Shelled from France in 1942 during the Second World War, the Museum lost much of its collections, including nearly all of its natural history collections. Much of the surviving material was left neglected in caves and other stores until 1946, and it is estimated only 30% of the pre-war collection survived to that date. In 1948 a 'temporary' museum was opened in the Town Hall's undercroft, but this in fact lasted until 1991, when a new museum building on three stories (behind the Museum's original Victorian facade) was opened in Market Square.

 

Changing sea levels and erosion are thought to have destroyed much of Dover's earliest Stone Age remains. Only a handful of stone axes have been found in the area. The first known inhabitants of Dover's River Dour valley were late Stone Age farmers who crossed to Dover by boat with corn seed and domesticated animals about 6,000 years ago. Britain's earliest known shipwreck (dating to about 1100BC) occurred off Dover in the Bronze Age, littering the seabed with over 350 bronze tools, weapons and scrap metal. Over 45 Bronze Age sites, mainly burials, have been found locally, but very little evidence of Iron Age settlements has yet been discovered. Roman Dover, the British port closest to the rest of the Roman Empire was a thriving town, thought to have covered at least a five hectare area along the Dour valley. The Romans called the town Dubris after Dubras, the British name meaning 'waters'. The Roman town had a large harbour, flanked by two lighthouses and three successive forts. Over 60 sites from the Roman period have been found in the Dover area. Sites which are open to the public include the Roman Painted House at Dover, the Roman lighthouse or Pharos in Dover Castle grounds and the Roman fort of Richborough near Sandwich. The museum holds a large collection of Roman Samian ware found in the area

 

From the fifth century onwards, Germanic tribes crossed the North Sea to settle in Kent. Dover, then known as DOFRAS, became a major settlement in the new Kingdom of Kent. Many important Saxon discoveries have been made in the Dover area, not least the Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Buckland found in 1951 during the building of a housing estate. 170 graves were found on the site, many containing weapons, jewellery and everyday objects such as combs and pottery. Another 244 graves were found adjacent in 1994, making Buckland one of the largest Anglo-Saxon cemeteries in Britain. Several Saxon timber buildings have also been found in the centre of Dover, and the church within the castle walls, St. Mary in Castro dates from the Saxon period. By the middle of the 10th century, the town was prosperous and well-organised with its own mint and established cross channel trading links

 

At the Battle of Hastings on 14th October 1066, King Harold was defeated by William Duke of Normandy. Harold was killed in combat and the Norman victory marked a resounding victory for the horsed Norman knights over the English foot soldiers. Hastings marked the end of the Saxon era and the beginning of William the Conqueror's reign. Following his victory at Hastings in October 1066, William the Conqueror and his forces marched to Dover. Dover was and remains a vital strategic point: the town guarded the shortest crossing to France. William of Poitiers described the event : 'Then he marched to Dover, which had been reported impregnable and held by a large force. The English, stricken with fear at his approach had confidence neither in their ramparts nor in the numbers of their troops ... While the inhabitants were preparing to surrender unconditionally, our men, greedy for booty, set fire to the castle and the great part of it was soon enveloped in flames'. The chronicle goes on to say that William paid for the repair and 'having taken possession of the castle, the Duke spent eight days adding new fortifications to it.' It is possible that a castle existed at Dover before the conquest, but archaeological evidence suggests that a new castle was constructed near the Saxon church of St. Mary in Castro. Having secured Dover, William took Canterbury and struck into Surrey and Berkshire before entering London. He was crowned on Christmas Day 1066 in Westminster Abbey. The Domesday Book, compiled in 1086 to establish the taxable value of the kingdom, goes on to say that before the conquest Dover's value had been £18 but was now £40. Historians have used this evidence to calculate that in the twenty years between the Norman Conquest and the Domesday Book, Dover had been rebuilt and revitalised.

 

After the Norman Conquest much of Saxon Dover was rebuilt. The town benefited from the increase in cross channel trade. The carrying of passengers between France and England also became common and was stimulated by William the Conqueror. In this period vast improvements were made to Dover Castle. By 1190, the large stone keep and the bailey surrounding it were complete. The thirteenth century saw many attacks on the town by French forces, The 1216 siege of the castle by Prince Louis was very close to being successful, whilst the great raid of 1295 saw 10,000 Frenchmen burn most of Dover to the ground. In roughly 1050 the five ports of Dover, Sandwich, Hastings, Romney and Hythe joined together to provide ships and men for the then King, Edward the Confessor. The five towns became known as the Cinque Ports. The name originated from the French word for five, but is always pronounced as 'sink' not 'sank.' In return for providing naval and ferry services these towns received many rights and privileges. Today the Cinque ports have only a ceremonial role, but locally a base for the Lord Warden of the Ports is still provided at Walmer Castle. Similarly, new Lords Warden are always installed at Dover.

 

The Maison Dieu or Domus Dei was founded in 1203 by Hubert de Burgh, Constable of Dover Castle and Earl of Kent. Its name translates as House of God, in both its Norman French and Latin forms. The Maison Dieu and its large grounds were built as a hospice, run by monks, to provide temporary lodgings for travelling pilgrims and for the care of wounded and destitute soldiers and old people. The monks soon added stables, a bakery, a brewery, farmlands and orchards. When Henry III consecrated the chapel in 1227 he was the first in a long line of monarchs to visit the Maison Dieu. In later years include Edward II, Edward III, Richard II, Henry V and Henry VI all paid the house a visit. The monks were evicted in 1544 during the reformation and the Maison Dieu and its lands were given to the Navy for use as a Victualling Store, which supplied the English fleet for 300 years, from the time of the Spanish Armada to the Battle of Trafalgar. In 1834, Dover Corporation purchased the Maison Dieu for use as a Town Hall and began converting it to Mayoral offices, Council Chambers and Magistrates' Courts. A new Gaol was built adjacent to it in 1836. In 1859, the Maison Dieu was restored by the architect Ambrose Poynter and William Burges, the famous designer and architect. In 1877 the Town Gaol was closed and in 1881, the Connaught Hall, designed by William Burges was erected on the same site. The Maison Dieu is still standing today. It contains a collection of arms, armour and some fine paintings. The Maison Dieu's beautiful painted stained glass windows were designed by E. J. Poynter in 1873 and depict historical events that have taken place in Dover. Poynter later became Sir Edward and was the director of the National Gallery and President of the Royal Academy.

 

The kings and queens of the Tudor and Stuart dynasties took a particular interest in Dover. Both Henry VIII and Elizabeth I recognised the value of the harbour, at this time threatened with blockage by shingle, and chose to finance expensive repairs and enlargements. Henry also made improvements to Dover's defences and famously built castles at Deal, Sandown and Walmer to protect the Downs anchorage. During the English Civil War (1642-51) Dover was on the side of Parliament, declaring themselves against King Charles I. In 1660, however, the town enthusiastically welcomed the return of his son Charles II to England via Dover beach, following the Restoration of the Monarchy. Throughout the period that followed the Restoration, Dover relied heavily on its then-small and unreliable harbour. It only began to prosper following the building of the great harbour in the 19th century.

 

In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Dover became a garrison town heavily defended against the threat of French invasion. At first earthen batteries were built along the seafront and across the Western Heights of Dover to supplement the limited protection offered by the medieval castle against cannon and shells. In 1804, with invasion expected at any time, a massive programme of defensive building in stone and brick began on the Western Heights creating two forts and deep brick-lined ditches. A unique 140ft triple staircase, the Grand Shaft, linked the town to the forts. The nineteenth century was a period of great change for Dover. The coming of the railways and trams, the redevelopment of the harbour on a massive scale, the growth of the cross channel passage and the expansion of local industries led to a rapid growth in the size of the town. Between 1801 and 1901 the population increased by 600 percent. Attempts were made to develop the town as a seaside resort through the provisions of a pleasure pier, ice rink, bathing machines and impressive seafront crescents of hotels and apartments.

 

The railway first reached Dover in 1844 when the South Eastern Railway Company built a trainline from London through Folkestone to Dover, where their channel steamers were situated. In 1861 the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company built a direct line from London to Dover where they had their own steamers. These two rival companies entered into fierce competition which lasted for the remainder of the nineteenth century. In 1899, however, these two companies merged to become the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Company. A large part of the coastline between Dover and Folkestone, called Roundown Cliff, had to be removed in order to allow the railway to enter Dover via the coast. Dover Corporation's electric trams were installed in 1897. Dover's trams were the first tram system in southern England. There were two main routes: the first was from the Pier to Buckland Bridge and the second from Biggin Street to Maxton. In 1905 the Tramway was extended to Crabble and River. Fares were a 'popular penny' with half penny fares in the early morning for workmen. The trams were removed in 1936 when the motor bus took over.

 

The outbreak of war with France in 1793 focused attention on coastal defence and upon the strategic importance of Dover Harbour. Before the war Dover had been a thriving port with over thirty vessels employed in the channel passage and had been known for its thriving shipbuilding business. Despite this, the problem of shingle blocking the harbour entrance had not been solved. Radical plans to improve the harbour were submitted by the military engineer Thomas Hyde Page and by civil engineers Rennie and Walker. These were rejected in favour of a series of works by James Moon, the resident engineer and harbour master, and Sir Henry Oxenden, a harbour commissioner. The improvements begun by Moon and Oxenden involved over eighteen years work and saw the building of wet and dry docks in the tidal harbour and a new cross wall with clock and compass towers. The stone quays of the Pent were begun and North and South Piers rebuilt. This was to have a significant effect on the Port's future. The widening of South Pier included the installation of water jets in its head supplied by pipes in from the wet dock. These were intended to clear the harbour mouth of shingle. Despite all this work, shingle remained a problem. A further problem during this period was the and building of the wet and dry docks in the tidal harbour unfortunately made the harbour far too small for the number of ships which used it. In 1834 Thomas Telford, the famous engineer, submitted plans to improve the sluices and the jets in the south pier. Telford believed that thorugh increasing the volume of water available with a tunnel between the Basin and the wet dock and by increasing the diameter of the pipe supplying the jets, the harbour mouth could be cleared of shingle. After Telford's death, his plans were continued by James Walker. These improvements, completed in 1838, went a long way towards solving the problem of shingle in the harbour mouth. In the meantime the townspeople had become tired of the delays and pressed the Harbour Board for action, which in fact the Harbour Board had already begun. In 1836 the Board were refused further financial powers by Parliament and a parliamentary enquiry established. This enquiry and the Royal Commission of 1840 laid the ground for the modern harbour with the recommendation in 1846 that Dover become a harbour of refuge 'capable of receiving any class of vessels under all circumstances of the wind and tide'. Whilst the Royal Commission deliberated, work went on in Dover and the tidal harbour doubled in size in 1844 with the demolition of Amherst's Battery and the excavation of the land on which it stood. At the same time, construction of a new bridge and gate to the Pent and new quays within it were undertaken.

 

In 1847 work began on the western arm of the Harbour of Refuge. The Harbour had been designed by James Walker and was commissioned by the Admiralty. By 1851 the pier had reached a sufficient length to solve the problem of shingle in the harbour mouth and cross channel steamers were able to berth alongside. The South Eastern Railway reached Dover via Folkestone in 1844 and the plans for the pier were altered to also provide a station which could deliver passengers and goods directly to the gang-planks of the channel boats. Traffic increased with the arrival of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway line in 1861 which was connected to the pier in 1864. The first phase of the pier was completed in 1854, and the second in 1864, but the third phase was delayed by discussion as to how it should finish at the seaward end. It was finally decided that a fort with two powerful 80 ton guns should be placed there. It was not until 1880 that the first structure was complete and 1885 before the guns were first fired. It became known as the Admiralty Pier Gun Turret. The eastern arm of the Harbour of Refuge was never begun and to meet the demand of cross channel trade plans were made to build a smaller commercial harbour. The eastern arm of this was the Prince of Wales Pier and was not begun until 1893. It was not until 1897 that the contract for Dover's Harbour of Refuge, first considered in 1836, was finally let. Work had already begun on Dover Harbour Board's commercial harbour scheme with the construction of Prince of Wales Pier and the plans for this were therefore amended. The plans for the harbour included a 2,000 feet extension of Admiralty Pier, an Eastern Arm of 2,900 feet and a breakwater of 4,200 feet. This entirely enclosed the bay leaving an Admiralty harbour of 610 acres and a commercial harbour of 68 acres. The plans for Admiralty Pier were amended in 1906 to allow the building of a station for the South Eastern and Chatham Railway. Despite problems with currents caused by the initial building of Prince of Wales Pier beyond the length of the incomplete Admiralty Pier, Dover flourished and in 1904 transatlantic liners began to use the port. This proved very short lived with the Hamburg Amerika Line moving to Southampton in 1906 after a series of collisions in the harbour mouth and with the other liner companies following suit over the next two years. The problems with the entrance were solved when the piers and breakwaters were finished. Unfortunately this was too late to save the liner traffic, however since 1996 the Port of Dover has seen liners return with the opening of a new cruise terminal. The completed harbour was opened on 14 October 1909 by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, the future King George V.

 

In the nineteenth century Dover was a major port and seafaring town. The town's most prosperous industries were ship-building, boat repairing, rope-making and sail making. Many of the local people were employed in one of these maritime based industries, but Dover's military connections also gave rise to other industries. Watch-making was established in order to provide ship's chronometers and officers' dress watches. Similarly, leather working became popular in order to provide boots and belts to the navy and army. Alongside the river Dour there were also corn, paper, timber and oil mills. The milling and brewing industries expanded with the military centre, providing the ships and garrisons with flour, bread and ale. Brewing became one of the largest non-maritime trades in Dover. Historians estimate that in 1850 there over eight large breweries in operation. The famed Phoenix Brewery was one of the oldest, largest and last to close. The Brewery's origins can be dated back to the 17th century. It was taken over by Leney's in 1859, which later merged with the Maidstone brewers Fremlins. Fremlins closed Phoenix Brewery in in 1926. In the later years of the nineteenth century, vast social and industrial changes had occured accross Britain. The industrial revolution also had an effect on Dover's fortunes. The discovery of coal under the Dover area in 1890 seemed to guarantee a bright and prosperous future for Dover and much of South-East Kent. Shakespeare Colliery commenced business in 1896 and a futher eight other colleries were established over the next twenty years. Despite the bright prospects coal seemed to promise, it was not until 1912 that the the first coal reached the surface. Only four collieries survived beyond 1920. This was largely due to bad management, poor investment, severe flooding problems and the depth and quality of the coal.The last Kent colliery closed in 1989.

 

Dover Priory was a renowned feature of the town during the Anglo-Saxon and Norman era. Since the 1860s, The Priory has been incorporated into Dover College, a private co-educational school. Work began on building the Priory in 1131 and thus the Priory is technically a Norman foundation. The Priory's antecedents, however, might be said to have been Anglo-Saxon. Its previous history is also involved with an earlier church dedicated to St. Martin, the remains of which can now be seen on the western side of Market Square. Confusingly, this earlier St. Martin's church survived as a parish church there even after the new Priory of St. Martin's, with its own very large church, was built slightly further out of the town in the twelfth century. The origins of Dover Priory might be said to lie in the early seventh century when a community of secular canons was set up in Dover Castle by King Eadbald of Kent (616-640). Towards the end of the seventh century, King Wihtred of Kent fulfilled a vow to St. Martin by building a church dedicated to him in part of the area of Dover now occupied by Market Square. King Eadbald transferred the 22 secular canons there from the Castle and they took their rights and privileges with them. Their living depended on grants of land and tithes that they held in common. They were also endowed with half of some of the dues levied at the port. The secular canons recognised the authority only of the King, and later the Pope, and were exempt from the control of all bishops. Wihtred's Saxon church of St. Martin must have been small, but after the Norman Conquest it was rebuilt on a grander scale. It was probably rebuilt on or near the same site by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, into whose hands it had fallen. The Church was thereafter known as St. Martin's Le Grand. Its churchyard covered a good deal of the area of the present market place and it was actually built above the much earlier foundations of Roman baths.

 

The secular canons of St. Martin's seem to have become vulnerable to criticism by the early twelfth century. The then Archbishop of Canterbury, Corbeil, wanted to extend his influence to Dover, in 1130. Corbeil used the behaviour of the Dover canons as a pretext in order to persuade Henry I to give him a charter that allowed him to build a Priory in Dover that would take over the assets of the existing church of St. Martin, while leaving it to be used as a parish church by the people of the town. Corbeil secured a site and began building there in 1131 on land that probably belonged to the former canons of St. Martin's le Grand. The buildings were partially occupied by 1136 and 12 canons regular were installed there. The Priory was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Martin and was called "St. Martin's of the New Work" or "Newark" in order to distinguish it from the old St. Martin's church. Old St. Martin's was still the principal parish church of the town, but was now ecclesiastically under the control of the new St. Martin's. Much controversy ensued between the monks of Christ Church Canterbury and the canons of Dover Priory. Archbishop Theobald completed the buildings in about 1140; in 1143 Theobold established that thereafter the Priory church of St. Martin, Dover, would follow the Benedictine Rule and remain in possession of the Cathedral church at Canterbury. The Priory would be a mere "cell" at the disposition of the Archbishop. Theobold also granted the Priory a confirmation of their right to all that had belonged to the old church of St. Martin. Controversy over the Priory continued between Dover and Canterbury for two centuries. The history of Dover Priory remained eventful: King Stephen was said to have died at Dover Priory in 1154. The Priory was much damaged by fire in 1201, but was repaired and expanded in 1231. The Priory was pillaged by the French in a raid in August 1295 during which a monk called Thomas de la Hale was murdered. In the 1480s, many repairs and improvements were made to rectify former damage.

 

Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538 caused the Priory to be suppressed and its monks dispersed. Dover Priory's reputedly impressive library simply vanishes from the records from that date onwards. The inventory made of the Priory's goods just before the suppression suggest that the monks were living in straightened circumstances by then, but that some provision was still made for the entertainment of visitors to the town. After the Monastery's suppression, some leading townsmen plundered the buildings for stone, lead and other building materials. Within a few years only a few buildings remained standing. By 1565 some fishermen, speaking in court, said that they had in the past taken their tithes of fish to the Priory "whiles it stood." Perhaps the greatest architectural loss to the town was the Priory church itself, which seems to have been a very large abbey church, once described in a sixteenth century letter to Cromwell as "the fairest church in all that quarter of Kent." Historian Haines believes the Priory Church was probably three times as long as St. Mary's church in Dover and nearly eight times the size of the refectory, which still stands. Haines believes there is much to suggest that the Church's general plan might have been compared with those of Repton Priory or of Stanley Abbey in Wiltshire. The whole edifice probably covered about 25,000 square feet. Its tower would have stood almost at the present junction of Effingham and Saxon Streets. Its cloisters would have been about 110 feet square and its chapter house would have been joined to the north wall of the transept. The lands belonging to the Priory were granted first to an apparently unscrupulous cleric called Richard Thornden or Thornton. They were later passed on to Archbishop Cranmer who, in December 1538, leased them out to Henry Bingham of Wingham, gentleman, on a 999 year lease. Bingham, in turn, leased the Priory lands out to other men, just as the Archbishop had always done with some of them. It seems likely that some active, entrepreneurial men who were later very influential in the town came to Dover at that time explicitly to exploit the lands and tithes released by religious houses at the suppression.

 

After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, certain Priory buildings were adapted to agricultural use and left standing: two barns, the gate-house, the refectory and a large hall. The town records show that one of these buildings, known as the "Priory Barn" was frequently used as a refuge by the transient poor, or vagrants, particularly in the 1590s and 1620s when harvests were bad, sickness rife, and work in short supply. Due to the demands of the new poor law, such homeless wanderers were rounded up there periodically by the mayor and his officers to be questioned and then sent out of the town in most cases. It seems likely that a memory remained of a time when the Priory, like other religious houses, had been a place of refuge and hospitality. Eighteenth and early nineteenth century illustrations of the Priory Farm suggest that its decaying Norman buildings and its two ponds were perceived as a picturesque ruin, a pleasant spot on the edge of the town. In August 1839 when the Duke of Wellington became Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports a grand fete was held in the Priory meadow. During the first part of the nineteenth century the Priory site was owned by a farmer called John Coleman, but in 1840 the south-eastern parts of the enclosed site came into the hands of builders when it was let on a building lease to Parker Ayres. Fortunately, between 1845-47 a local cleric, Dr. F.C.Plumptre, noted all he could about the foundations of the original buildings. According to historian Haines, Plumptre's reconstruction suggests that the builders probably created Effingham Street along the site of the monks' former dormitory, the chapter house and the transepts of the church. Effingham Crescent, meanwhile, was created along what might have been the rere-dorter. Saxon Street and the houses and gardens of of the north side of St. Martin's Hill are situated on what was probably once the nave of the church. Soon after this, Steriker Finnis, a Dover timber merchant, leased or bought the western portion of the Priory site. He gave up this lease in 1868, when the ponds were drained and his portion of the grounds became Priory Gate Road and part of the yard of Dover Priory Station. During the first half of the nineteenth century the two barns were also demolished, one in the north-west corner of the grounds some time after 1850, and one in the south-west corner in 1868.

 

The Museum Galleries : The ground floor exhibition traces Dover's history from the Stone Age to the Saxons. The exhibition includes information regarding the building of Dover's Roman forts, as well as gorgeous Saxon jewellery from the collections of the British Museum. The first floor is devoted to a special exhibition which changes annually. In 2014, in honour of the centenary of the beginning of the First World War, the first floor is playing host to a fascinating exhibit, charting the effect of this transformative four year conflict on Dover, its people and the world in general. The top floor gallery is the largest. Six scale models clearly show the growing town and port of Dover since medieval times, surrounded by cases of the best of the museum's collections. A central information desk gives guidance and information to visitors who wish to know more of Dover's past. The top floor also houses the acclaimed Dover Bronze Age Boat Gallery. The Bronze Age Boat was discovered here in Dover and is of an international significance; it is the world's oldest known seagoing boat.

 

The Museum collection includes : - Puritan Pocket Watch : Oval silver Puritan watch; The Deal Man : A 7" (18cm) high carved chalk figurine found in 1987 by the Dover Archaeological Group; The Dover Saxon Ring - A magnificent and important Anglo Saxon Gold ring, Mid-6th Century (c.550AD); 460 Postcards of Dover - A local man had been collecting postcards of Dover for over 25 years.; Polar Bear : the Koettlitz Polar Bear; Bone Ship : an intricately carved bone Prisoner-of-war crafted model ship; Amphora shaped glass jar : Roman archaeological find from the Deal Archaeological Collection; Model Cannon and Gun Carriage : Working Model of a seven inch rifled breech-loading Armstrong pattern field gun; Southern Railway Poster : Kenneth Shoesmith, 1936 ; Bellarmine Jug; Roman Pharos, two prints of the Roman lighthouse on Castle Hill above Dover; A Selection of Fossils : a small selection of fossils, tying in with their annual fossil roadshow, held in March; Granville Dock : a watercolour by S. J. Mackie; Chain Home Low Radar Station : Shelling during World War Two ; Tram No. 4, Bench Street, Dover : glass slide; Louis Bleriot's landing : photograph; St. Mary's Church : engraving and postcard; Ripple Hoard : a hoard of 5 Bronze Age palstaves.

 

Bronze Age Boat. On 28 September 1992, Kent construction workers in the midst of building the A20 road link between Folkestone and Dover made an intriguing discovery. The workers, who were working alongside archaeologists from the Canterbury Archaeological Trust, uncovered the remains of a large and well-preserved prehistoric boat. This was a transformative discovery: the boat is roughly 3,500 years old and archaeologists estimate it would have been in use around 1,500 BC, during the Bronze Age. The archaeologists were aware that past attempts at excavating similar boats in one piece had been unsuccessful. Consequently, a decision was taken to cut the boat into sections and reassemble it afterwards. It was also necessary to leave an unknown part of the boat underground as its burial site stretched out towards buildings and excavating close to these buildings would have been too dangerous. After nearly a month of excavation 9.5 metres of the boat was successfully recovered and has since been marvellously preserved. Archaeologists remain unsure of how large the boat originally was. It is possible the boat was originally many metres longer than what is displayed in the Gallery, or it could be almost complete. Either way, the boat holds a unique position as the world's oldest known sea-faring boat. The gallery also explores major themes of the Bronze Age, using artefacts, replicas, models, video, computer interactives, hands-on exhibits and illustrated panels.

 

The museum is fully wheelchair accessible. There is a lift to the upper floors. There are bay changing facilities as well as disabled access toilets. Assistance dogs are welcome. There are a number of objects available for handling for the visually impaired - please talk to a member of staff.

 

Location : Dover Museum and Bronze Age Boat Gallery, Market Square, Dover, Kent, CT16 1PH

Transport : Dover Priory (National Rail) then 8 minutes. Bus Routes : 60, 61, 63, 68 and 93 stop near by

Opening Times : Monday to Saturday 09.30 to 17.00;  Sunday (April to October) 10:00 to 15:00

Tickets : Free

Tel. : 01304 201066